My plan for 2017 wine from California grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Placed my California grape order from our local supplier. Plans are 3 lugs of Zinfandel and keeping as a single varietal and 2 lugs Syrah plus 1 lug of Grenache, co-fermenting the Syrah and Grenache. Lake Erie Concored grapes in in mid-October.

Well I spent the better part of a workday yesterday and all afternoon today prepping, Cleaning all the glass and buckets and sanitizing, organizing everything involved. Even Took inventory and overhauled my whole work area. Really brutal with the washtub being upstairs. But im done.
With Every batch I get a little better at preparing and knowing what to do, and what to have ready and all that. Trying to do everything possible to make sure this season will go as smooth as possible without any hiccups or scrambling last minute for something or another. I'm sure I forgot something!

Last edited:
I have my orders locked in, supplies on the way and everything cleaned up and ready to go!

I am doing the following:

3 lugs of Old Vine Carignane
3 lugs of Cab Sauv from Mukelumne River Lodi
2 lugs of Washington Cab Franc

No juices for me this year, although I might get a bucket to mix with a Saison fermentation.

-Josh

Traveled down first thing this morning. Picked up. Met Fred while I was there (Hi Fred!).

The Cab and petit verdot are fairly mushy (the Cab even more so because I dumped 6 gallons of juice in with three lugs of grape). The Merlot, though, is pretty solid with less available juice than the other two.

The bucket of Cab juice was a little bloated, like it's already fermenting or releasing co2. The juice tasted very good.

Working in the Kmeta into the Merlot to kill wild yeast and bacteria was a pain. The other two were fine.

The must is about 45* all around. Still need to test for TA (need test kit... oops), pH and OG before adding other stuff and kicking this thing off.

Headed to the LHBS now and will revisit the fermenters in a bit.

IMG_1507390088.620525.jpgIMG_1507390111.660054.jpgIMG_1507390125.842808.jpgIMG_1507390139.357543.jpg

Traveled down first thing this morning. Picked up. Met Fred while I was there (Hi Fred!).

The Cab and petit verdot are fairly mushy (the Cab even more so because I dumped 6 gallons of juice in with three lugs of grape). The Merlot, though, is pretty solid with less available juice than the other two.

The bucket of Cab juice was a little bloated, like it's already fermenting or releasing co2. The juice tasted very good.

Working in the Kmeta into the Merlot to kill wild yeast and bacteria was a pain. The other two were fine.

The must is about 45* all around. Still need to test for TA (need test kit... oops), pH and OG before adding other stuff and kicking this thing off.

Headed to the LHBS now and will revisit the fermenters in a bit.

View attachment 39668View attachment 39669View attachment 39670View attachment 39671
If you can keep samples cold so they don't start fermenting (at least 15 ml of each) I can test your TA (or we can just wait post primary fermentation and de-carbonate the samples). Just have to figure when to cross paths. I'm away next weekend to close the cabin with my younger brother, and have a car appointment on an unknown day next week, plus Monday is out because I have to get home early to take the oldest daughter to field hockey practice by 3 pm. So the window of opportunity is rather small.

The Merlot, though, is pretty solid with less available juice than the other two.

You got Lanza grapes, right? Mine was the same. Brix through the roof as well, so all isn't lost - you'll have to water it down. Make sure you get some tartaric at the LHBS - both for acid adjustment and to acidulate the water.

You got Lanza grapes, right? Mine was the same. Brix through the roof as well, so all isn't lost - you'll have to water it down. Make sure you get some tartaric at the LHBS - both for acid adjustment and to acidulate the water.

Yes, we're on the same path, I think. Lanza Cab and Merlot, LMP Petit Verdot.

I'm going to leave the grapes be for the day and give them a chance to come up to a proper temp. Tonight before bed, I'll hit each batch with Llalazyme, stir and call it a day.

Tomorrow, we'll get good samples and test each batch for pH and OG. If the pH is whacky, I'll test TA and adjust accordingly. If my gravity is as I suspect - off the charts high - for any of them, I'll go the same route as BBJim and add some aciduated water before hitting it with yeast/tannin/nutrient.

So with the enzyme, MoreWine says 0.1g/gallon of must. It looks like about 10-12 gallons in the fermentor, and will produce about 7 gallons of wine. I'm going to drop 1g of it in the two fermentors with three lugs of grapes each, and 1.5g in the Cab juice/grape combo. Sound about right?

So with the enzyme, MoreWine says 0.1g/gallon of must. It looks like about 10-12 gallons in the fermentor, and will produce about 7 gallons of wine. I'm going to drop 1g of it in the two fermentors with three lugs of grapes each, and 1.5g in the Cab juice/grape combo. Sound about right?

More than suggested doesn't hurt as far as I know, at least it hasn't for me. I'd go with your 7 gallons for 3 lugs of grapes (or slightly higher) as the minimum to do your calculations. If I have three batches with grapes, I'd put a bit more in the all grape batch verses the one with the juice bucket added. I never save the stuff, just buy more next time.

. Sorry I forgot to bring mine.:slp I owe you two bottles now. Was good meeting you.

You'll enjoy it, I think. It's awesome with a big traditional Italian meal or a good steak. Decant for an hour and enjoy. The only condition I have with giving wine to people is getting an honest opinion in return.

Back