Petit Sirah from Lanza Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should only need like 4 empty bottles since there is what like only a gallon left? :)

Sampled another ounce or so. This wine is ready for the bottle, I think.

Going to the LHBS today to grab some Kmeta and look at some brand new bottles to put this in. Will bottle my second batch of Luna Bianca too (it's perfect). With the rain coming through, it's a good day to work in the basement.

Should only need like 4 empty bottles since there is what like only a gallon left? :)

Har har.... bottled 3 gallons of PS into 12 - 750's and 6 - 375's. The scrapes at the bottom of the carboy were good though. They'll nap on the shelf for a year before I touch one of the tasters.

View attachment 44375

I still have the PS/Zin blend in carboy. Not sure I want to bottle that one just yet. Maybe in the spring.

Checked my notes on the Luna. I think I want it to sit another month.

Last edited:
We sampled the ps/zin blend - no fruit, tannic... almost bitter. The bitter faded a bit as the wine got some air. It's going to be few years until it's ready. The pH is around 3.7, and it's got great body and color.

Last edited:
I racked the blend yesterday and dosed with Kmeta. I think we'll put this in the bottle next week. I need room in my bottle bins - they're overflowing because I haven't bottled anything in a while.

For the doubters out there, the ps is untouched. Not sure when I'll try the first taster (I have 6, so maybe at its 2 year anniversary)

We're at 2 years (within days anyway). So, I had a sampler. Clean, tannic with blueberry in the background. Still needs some shelf time. 6 more months?

I did the same grapes the same year, bottled mine about 3-4 months ago, my tasting thoughts were the same as yours, but I'm thinking more like another 1.5 - 2 years based on the tannic nature, but will continue to drink a bottle every few months to see how it's coming along.............

I did the same grapes the same year, bottled mine about 3-4 months ago, my tasting thoughts were the same as yours, but I'm thinking more like another 1.5 - 2 years based on the tannic nature, but will continue to drink a bottle every few months to see how it's coming along.............

I'm being overly optimistic. You're probably right - another 2 years till it starts to hit its stride. The next tester will be in 6 months, though.

With my wife and daughter in NYC for the wknd, me and a buddy went to the range for a little Armalite therapy. Afterwards, we had lunch - a charcuterie plate and wine sampling. I pulled up one of the zin/PS blends. It was improving, but still drank like an old German Christmas song.

Back