WineXpert Fourtitude with Grape Skins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pitched mine today, using the supplied yeasts. It was odd not having oak chips in primary on a big red. After two hours the SG was 1.086, after six it was 1.093. I'm sure that it will keep going up as the pack releases its sugars. WE told me that the final SG is usually reached after 12 hours, but I plan on being asleep then.

It will be interesting to know whether this drops a lot of solids in the primary. I talked to Matt at LP. He's of a mind to follow the directions to the end and add tannins to taste during bulk aging.

Can someone explain to me how two different yeast types works in this kit? My understanding is that in the end one yeast would win out, as yeast tends to overtake anything and battle it out to prove who's stronger (so to speak). Wondering how the weaker yeast would have any impact?

Can someone explain to me how two different yeast types works in this kit? My understanding is that in the end one yeast would win out, as yeast tends to overtake anything and battle it out to prove who's stronger (so to speak). Wondering how the weaker yeast would have any impact?

No takers in 8 days means that you've asked a really good question. I'm interested to know the answer myself.

When I've done kits with two yeasts, one is always EC-1118. I don't pitch that, but set it aside as 'insurance' in case the other yeast can't finish for some reason. In the handful of kits I've done this way, I've never needed the EC-1118.

I can't imagine that if you pitch both, the EC-1118 doesn't take over very quickly.

Okay, so I posed the question to Peter Mills and he agreed that the stronger yeast will typically dominate the fermentation. BUT, maintaining a temp between 72-74 will allow both yeasts to contribute.

I wish I could cut and paste his response. But, can't do that on PM's in the app for some weird reason.

Okay, so I posed the question to Peter Mills and he agreed that the stronger yeast will typically dominate the fermentation. BUT, maintaining a temp between 70-74 will allow both yeasts to contribute.

I wish I could cut and paste his response. But, can't do that on PM's in the app for some weird reason.

Good call. Haven't seen @PeterMills here in a while. Would be awesome if he posted more often.

Me either.

Personally, I like the idea of taking the RC212 for the long drive home and leaving the EC1118 in reserve to pitch if you run out of gas with the RC and just need something to kick you into the garage.

Great "Jims" think alike...

My Winexpert Amarone came with 2 packs of RC212 so if it can do a 15.5% - 16% ABV wine then EC1118 will seldom be necessary other than for port wines. JMHO.

I should probably get this one started at the end of this month. I was looking at the carboy situation and want to time the transfer out of the primary with bottling of one of the other reds (maybe the Forza - it will have 6 months in the carboy in mid June).

I racked mine to the bulk aging stage last week. I was a little disappointed in the small sample I had. Granted it's very very early, but it felt thin and didn't really strike me with any boldness. I'm sure that will change later, and if not there's always oak and tannins to help.

I have the Fourtitude on deck, waiting for a carboy to become available.

Story of my life! If I wasn't so addiment about aging in carboy, the end of this year I'll have a crazy amount of empty carboys but then again this will give me a reason to get more going! Lol never have enough carboys!:ft

With five kits in carboys aging, and another two on deck, I just ordered my last kit for 2016. I may pick one more up if the mood strikes me right(or let's be honest, if one night I have too much to wine and really want to pull the trigger on the Eclipse Nebbiolo). But, for the final kit of 2016, I ordered the Fourtitude.

This one will hit the primary in early May, and age in the carboy at least 6 months.

Of any of the LE's this year - this was my must have.
We're not even half way through the year yet! I predict this won't be your last for 2016 lol:db

We're not even half way through the year yet! I predict this won't be your last for 2016 lol:db

It may be his last kit, but he will do at least a juice bucket plus grapes or all grapes this fall. I'm gonna drag his butt down to Harford whether he likes it or not. Doing buckets+grapes or just grapes is too much fun not to try!

I don't know.... There's a lot of wine aging right now - Zin, Cab, Malbec, Forza and an Amarone. The Fourtitude and the two kits I just bottled makes about 240 bottles for 2016. I can see two kits around the holidays, maybe.

But, Craig's right - I'm planning some wine from fresh juice and grapes in the fall. Can't wait.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back