Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not the correct base for what you're asking to do, that doesn't mean you can't try it could work.

I see. What might be a good base for that? Do I need something lighter? Like a merlot?
Thanks again for the guidance, wise one. :)

Yes , deeper base should be able to accept the additions of chocolate. .
You really need to use a dessert wine base and then your additives will work well. Just my thoughts.

I'm new to winemaking. My first wine kit (Wine expert CA Chardonnay) was stabilized July 11 and pretty much followed the instruction. I read in a thread that you have added grapefruit rind to give Chardonnay more tang. I think this might help because it has a strong apple scent. My question is it too late to have any impact to the final wine since fermentation is completed?

I also wonder with Chardonnay's is it important to rack when seeing lees after stablization and before clarifying. I know that some vineyards do monthly battonage (lees stirring) to enhance the velvety texture and creamy flavor.

Follow me carefully,if your still in the process in the secondary then add the ZEST of 1/2 grapefruit to the mix.
Let it sit 2 weeks then add chems and clearing agents.
Allow to clear then filter through cheesecloth to remove the zest, or don't and bottle.

Follow me carefully,if your still in the process in the secondary then add the ZEST of 1/2 grapefruit to the mix.
Let it sit 2 weeks then add chems and clearing agents.
Allow to clear then filter through cheesecloth to remove the zest, or don't and bottle.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I am past the secondary when I came to this site. I definitely will try this on the next batch!!

Has anyone produced a document summarizing the knowledge shared and gained on this thread? It is so long now it is kinda laborious to read all 91 pages... @joeswine

Has anyone produced a document summarizing the knowledge shared and gained on this thread? It is so long now it is kinda laborious to read all 91 pages... @joeswine

The good news is that, no, no one has done that. So you can be the one to grab all the glory and accomplish that! :)

I'm new to winemaking. My first wine kit (Wine expert CA Chardonnay) was stabilized July 11 and pretty much followed the instruction. I read in a thread that you have added grapefruit rind to give Chardonnay more tang. I think this might help because it has a strong apple scent. My question is it too late to have any impact to the final wine since fermentation is completed?

I also wonder with Chardonnay's is it important to rack when seeing lees after stablization and before clarifying. I know that some vineyards do monthly battonage (lees stirring) to enhance the velvety texture and creamy flavor.
You should be able to add the grapefruit even after stabilization.
Try it out. You won't lose anything from it. I did that for my rose after stabilizing (like 2 months afterward) and it worked pretty well.

I have been asked in the past to write an Ebook, I think the best way to break down everything that's been done here on this thread is to go back to thd beginning. And learn the basics of wine making ,then learn to think outside the box.
First have a decide what base wine your making and read about it's profile.
What elements does it have intaste.
(Berries, other fruit,e t.).
The plan.
Adding an outside element either to the primarily or secondary alters the relation ship in the wines overall Finnish.
Now that we have chosen our base wine and partner or not the next question is how much acholo do we want the wine to have in it finish.

To be continue,,.......,

Thanks. Unfortunately, I am past the secondary when I came to this site. I definitely will try this on the next batch!!

My neighbor lady friend also makes wine and has always gone by the instructions. I have always tweaked, thanks to Joe. She told my wines always had a little something that hers was missing....even doing the same kits.

She was doing a Chadonnay and I told her about the half grapefruit of zest added to the secondary. It finished now. Her comment was WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!

What Joe has taught me is don't go overboard on ABV or the tweaks....a little bit goes a long way! Thanks Joe!

A partnership = the base wine and the flavor enhancer ( berries etç.) Are at a balancé when their both in the primary.

Background flavor = when the flavor enhancer is added to the secondary.
Got it.... To be contínued. Any questions ?????

Forgive me if I missed this (have read many of the 91 pages, but not all) - when you use grapefruit zest, how do you clean/prep the zest? I understand the microplane and zesting just the top layer, but wondering if you just wash the grapefruit before zesting, or "sterilize" it in vodka (or something else) before zesting and adding to secondary?

Peach Bellini...outstanding with a spritz of Champaign.....simple great flavor with the fresh peaches added easy flow.

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 37
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 31
Merlot with Blackberries, I have always used a profile flavor to enhance the main base wines taste profile, lets look at this paring.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 55
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 48
Phase #2 ..Merlot with blackberries...................

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 13A.jpg
    13A.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 42
  • 16 (2).jpg
    16 (2).jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 21 - Copy.jpg
    21 - Copy.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20180216_143700816.jpg
    IMG_20180216_143700816.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20180216_143701908.jpg
    IMG_20180216_143701908.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 43
I have my second batch of Chardonnay in primary and added the grapefruit zest and it smells soooo much better than the previous batch. I really appreciate the advise. Thanks a bunch!!! I would like to try to add some pears (along with the grapefruit zest) to Pinot Grigio for my next batch. I see that you sauté the fruit. But wondering if you add any pectin to the F pack. If so how much?

Latest posts

Back