What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m going to do it fat side up this time I think.
I’d like more fat flavor to render down hopefully for more flavor [emoji848]

This rookie is getting the Weber grill ready in a few after watching the women US soccer game (let’s go USA [emoji631] 2-0 now...!!!!) and hopefully start it around 7pm or so

I’m going to do it fat side up this time I think.
I’d like more fat flavor to render down hopefully for more flavor [emoji848]

That's the way (fat side up) I've done every brisket in my history, until the last one, which I did fat side down. Particularly if you're meat isn't shielded from the radiant heat of the charcoal, fat side down may be of benefit. I don't have that issue as my cooks are completely indirect, but I'll say that my bark was a tad better fat side down.............

Isn’t this going too fast even with a low steady grill temp of 201?
Probe 1 for the point is #1, the flat is #2 and both already in the 120s after just 1 hour and a half.

IMG_0694.JPG

@geek What you’ll observe with both butts and briskets, cooked 225 - 250 grill temp, is that it’ll heat up relatively quickly to the 140 to 160 range and then stall, as the fat and collagen breaks down. All of the heat energy goes into that activity. Once completed, the temp will once again increase steadily until you get to your desired temp. Don’t freak out that the meat temp hits a spot and tops out there for a while, you want that, it’s what makes it tender.

Yep, saw the stall phase on YouTube.
Right now the meat is holding in the 147F range.

I know the grill temp is a bit low, around 207F now, but I think I want to keep it that way just for overnight, I will open the vents more in the morning to crank it up around 250F, need to get this done and resting by noon..!!!

I think this may be a loss.... ☹️
I started with lots of coals around 6pm, went to bed past 10pm and this morning around 6am the grill temp was only 110F, meat around 108F.....grrr

I restarted everything and now grill temp holding around 270F and meat in the 120F.

If the meat is not ruined, this won’t be ready for showtime around 3pm, well just maybe.

Fire management is really key.

I think this may be a loss.... ☹️
I started with lots of coals around 6pm, went to bed past 10pm and this morning around 6am the grill temp was only 110F, meat around 108F.....grrr

I restarted everything and now grill temp holding around 270F and meat in the 120F.

If the meat is not ruined, this won’t be ready for showtime around 3pm, well just maybe.

Fire management is really key.

Don’t give up, heat it back up and keep going, shoot for the 250 mark, foil it at 140 to help speed it along. You may still get there!

Unless you invest in some of the bigger coal holders with a little technology, overnight Cook’s mean that you are up regularly. My Primo holds enough coal to cook for nearly 24 hours, and the temp / fan controls maintain it at set temp, as long as there’s coal.

All good advice from John. Are you spritzing it? Have you wrapped it yet? Things will hopefully move faster today. Remember go by probe tenderness not necessarily internal temp.

Dang it Varis. I went to sleep thinking about brisket after our evening postings, then saw it again first thing this morning. Ran to the store at 7, now I have a flat on the pit smoking. Guess there are worse things.
B5FE82C2-07D8-4ABB-8C13-BED83539ACB6.jpeg

Last edited:
Newbie here on the thread , so cut me some slack if I'm out of line. But all this talk about grades, choice versus prime, don't mean spit if you're looking at wet aged krapola meat. you could get some utility beef that's been aged for 30 days and it'll beat your Costco prime.

I wrapped it around 9am, internal temps were in the 170-180F.
The flat always 10 degrees behind. The point now is about 205, but the flat 190.

Will bring the grill temp down a bit since it edged above 300, see pics.
The 2nd is the point and the 3rd the flat. I guess I should turn it around and hope to get the flat up to speed?

IMG_0697.JPG

You sure you don't have those temps reversed? Your saying the thicker (point) end has a higher temp than the thinner (flat) end?

I wrapped it around 9am, internal temps were in the 170-180F.
The flat always 10 degrees behind. The point now is about 205, but the flat 190.

Will bring the grill temp down a bit since it edged above 300, see pics.
The 2nd is the point and the 3rd the flat. I guess I should turn it around and hope to get the flat up to speed?

View attachment 55286

This is pretty much done, meat seems to be easy to push probe in. I’m calling it done and wrapping in a towel and then goes to cooler for a couple hours.

Is it ok to leave them for an extended period of time, I wanted this ready to cut around 3pm.

Latest posts

Back