Describe taste of Marquette wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeChat

Reaction score
I have a thread in the vineyard section asking about the type of grape to grow in a category 3 frost area. Many people suggested Marquette as a good potential grape.

Does anyone have any experience in what type of wine one can make with this grape? Are there any commercial Marquette grape wine? Anybody willing to share a sample of their own production (shipping paid of course)?

I am looking at buying 125-200 vines and want to make sure that the grape has good characteristics.

I would say its very close to a Pinot Noir with a bit more spice and pepper. Grapeman will be happy to sell you a bottle but you will have to pay for it. Worth every dollar IMHO. Just a fantastic wine and that is why I am growing it also.

Thanks for the reply Mike. Who is Grapeman and how do I get in touch?

look in to Petite Pearl.....it sounds to be more balanced then the Marquette...plus the marquette seems to me a bit aggressive in summer months.....looking into the Pearls myself

He is our resident expert moderator on many things but especially in viticulture. Google "Hid In Pines Vineyard"

look in to Petite Pearl.....it sounds to be more balanced then the Marquette...plus the marquette seems to me a bit aggressive in summer months.....looking into the Pearls myself

Thanks IBG, will do.

@MC I don't think Petite Pearl is hardy enough for my needs. I would need a category 3 grape vine. It seems PP is category 4...

In my opinion, Marquette and petite pearl are hands down the best red varieties for cold climates. I know there are some folks growing petite pearl in zone 3. If you have any microclimate protection you may be able to grow it. I'd try a few vines nd see how hey do. But you can't go wrong with Marquette.

Back