Other CC vs. RJS Sauvignon Blanc??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cellar Craft or RJ Spagnols Sauvignon Blanc?

• Cellar Craft

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • RJ Spagnols

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters

TimTheWiner

Begintner
Reaction score
I've decided I would like to do a Sauvignon Blanc as my next kit wine and wondering if there is a general consensus on if people prefer CC or RJS for this? I have done three CC kits and no RJS before but I see RJS being brought up time and again on here so I am sure they are quality kits. Any recommendations between the two?

I am not sure which of the CC and RJS series' you are talking about or comparing, but since you are talking about a white wine, I think you will be happy with either the CC Premium California Reserve Sauvignon Blanc or the RJS Cru Select New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Both are 16 liter kits which I feel is a plus and the CC is somewhat better priced. I have made the CC product and found it to be excellent. I also prefer California wines to either Australia or New Zealand wines, but that is only a personal preference. I feel the California are more crisp and fruity than the others. If you are pleased with your CC experiences so far, I would stay with them. I find RJS's whites, while good, are not the measure of their reds. This is a personal observation and you may find a totally different one.

It is really tough to answer your question when I don't know which kits you are actually looking at. I don't recall trying any of the kits in the following list (but I may have had a taste of the Cru Select a few years ago). My comments are based on my perceived brand quality.

High End Choices from their web-sites:

RJS En Primeur California Sauvignon Blanc - should be best one on this list
RJS Cru Seect New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc - should be second best
RJS Cellar Classic Sauvignon Blanc
CC California Reserve Sauvignon Blanc - no experience with this brand, but wouldn't expect it to be better than Cru Select

I had a few bottles of the Vineco KenRidge Showcase New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, and really enjoyed it, but again a few years ago. Quality wise, it would be about the same quality as the Cru Select. KenRidge Showcase also has a French Sauvignon Blanc. There are also the Winexpert Selection kits to consider. Plus a variety of less expensive lower end kits from all the manufacturers.

Personally, I have been wanting to make a batch of the KenRidge Showcase New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc but haven't got around to it yet, as I made a lesser limited edition KenRidge Classic New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc in 2008, and still have some left.

Steve

Well, I'm a RJS man...been making the CruSelect Kiwi SauvBlanc dozens of times. My wife loves it!
In some cases, the 42-day process is completely done in, say, 27 days. Never had any SO2 problems...even when served at room temp.
Replacing a litre or 3 of the Day 1 H2O with a clear apple- apple/pear juice really ups the yumminess.
I'm sure the CC kit is just fine, but I've never made one.
If you're happy with what you've been doing, stick with it.

I have the RJS EP Sauv Blanc (Australian) in bulk age right now. Almost 5 mo old. Its going to be really good but still too young to tell just how good. I wanted the EP New Zealand Sauv Blanc and this is what they gave me. Guess they could no longer source high quality juice from NZ and switched to Aussie. It all depends on what flavor profile you like. Nothing from North America IMHO compares to a NZ Sauv Blanc. Much more citrus, lemongrass, peach, crispness on the tongue.

I am interested in the 16L RJS Cru Select NZ Sauv Blanc but thinking 18L kit would still beat out 16L kit any old day of the week. Hopefully they will find another source in NZ and the EP kit will switch back real soon!

Latest posts

Back