When an how to prune new trunks to the cordon wire

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewdude

Junior
Reaction score
1st I let the vines grow with no training
2nd year spring I trimmed down to a few buds
2nd year June I am now trimmed to one trunk that is growing past the cordon wire.

Do I cut the trunk above or below the cordon wire?
The books I have show this both ways?

I think I remember reading it should be pruned below the wire if it is a muscadine and you might be using the baseball bat technique for harvest. You don't say what part of the country, if it's a grape vine, what variety, what trellis system, so anything's possible!

Since it is still fairly early, you can make a cut just below the wire. Then let the shoots grow that form from the buds near the cut. They can be formed to make the cordon. This will work for both VSP and Top Wire Cordon ( and also a few more). What grapes and whatr training system?

Various french american hybrids.

The particular rows that I am working on are Traminette that are being training VSP.

I also have some Frontenac that are TWC, they are also close to the cordon wire.

I am in the Midwest

Can I prune TOO much this time of year? I have Merlot TWC at 5' high. The new years shoots go up a foot or so then reach the ground or run 8-12 feet along the 3' wire. I trimmed most of the shoots that don't have grape clusters on them WAY back. The ones with clusters I pruned slightly. The clusters now can see the sun. Did I over prune? I'm in No. Ga. Mtn's 1 mi. to Tenn. & at 1520' elevation. Roy

Happy 4th Grapeman, the vines are 5 & 6 yrs. old. This is their 2nd year of good production. I removed the clusters prior to that. We have had a lot of rain & I think that is why there is so much growth. Last year they had good growth & I pruned lightly, this year they went crazy, one new shoot was 12' long! Roy

Back