Kit taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geronimo

Norges Skaal!
Reaction score
Ok, I've got some experience behind me and I've brewed up 4 different kit makers' vino. One of them really seems to have a "taste" that just isn't quite perfect.

I'm 99% sure many of you know what I mean. Does anything improve it?

I hate to be blunt because, in my experience, all the kits from one manufacturer seem to have it. None of the kits from the others do.

I'll try aerating/decanting and see if that cleans it out. Thanks

Were these low end kits, high end kits? Red? White? Skins, no skins? Grape pack, no grape pack.......

Please give us some details.

High end, red, no skins. I guess I have to be blunt...

The 2 main kits I'm referring to are WE Lodi Ranch 11 Cab Sav and the WE Stag's Leap Merlot. I also tasted it in the Mezza Luna red and others I made from WE. I'm going to aerate a bottle tonight and see if a couple hours cleans it up.

They do go away with time but yes for some reason that is the brand that it really stands out in and the main reason I dont buy that brand too much but like I said it does go away with lots of aging which these red kits need anyway!

How long have these aged? I think I've seen other people say (and Winexpert apparently does the same) that these two kits do not become ideal until around 1-2 years or so.

The WE Lodi Ranch is 9 months old. We did a comparison (My wife and I plus 2 friends) against a 3 month old CC Red Mountain Cab Sav.

Hands down, the CC Cab Sav won. We think the main difference is the use of skins by CC versus a tannin addition in the WE kit.

I'm going to be fair and leave two of these bottles taped together for another 18 months then try them again (Christmas time, 2013).

The sad fact is; the CC kit is totally wonderful today and I'm sure it will improve. The WE kit is drinkable, and aerating/decanting helped. I'm really sure it will be better in 18 more months. But will it win? If I had to bet today, I'd bet against the WE kit. The CC is really awesome already. At least an 89. Absolutely delightful.

Last edited:
Geronimo, I appreciate your "naming names" here because that is good information for the rest of us. The only WE kit I have made have had a grape pack and so far so good (Neor D'Avola). It is in the bottle and I have sampled and been pleased with it even as young (about 10 months) as it is.

Ditto what Wade and Rocky said. I have done several WE kits and found that they have noticeable KT but does not bother my wife or I. It does bother my son and he can pick out one of my WE wines with only a smell. He seems to be particularity sensitive to it. It does go away after 12 months or so in bottle. I have now done a couple of the new WE skins kits and I find no KT in them at all. My son will be the ultimate test when I open a bottle of each around Christmas. I find the RJS Cru Select kits take quite a while to settle down similar to WE.

I will say that the Stags Leap will come around and be an awesome wine, it just needs more tike then most other wine kits to do so.

I don't think after 9 month you are being fair to any red. I have had wine I thought I was going to pour out turn into great wines. The red mountain needs to age a lot still as well. I let reds sit for 1 year before bottling and dont even open on until 2 years. I do have a 3 year old Cab Sauv that needs bottling and I just tasted it...O Ya it was worth the wait. It sucked when I kegged it

I'm looking for a few that can be drank early, and the CC Red Mountain is totally lovable right now, as is the CC Barbera.

To be fair I bought the WE Australian Petit Verdot With Grape Skins which they describe as being fully rounded in 3 months.

In order for anything around here to age 2+ years I need at least 2 or 3 that don't have to be aged that long.

Just an update; I decanted/aerated a bottle of 9 month old WE Lodi Ranch 11 Cab Sav and it was reasonably better last night. Then I left about a third of the bottle sit out all night open, and the weird metallic KT is gone. In fact the wine is among the best Cabernet Sauvignon I've ever tasted... but the CC Red Mountain Cabernet Sauvignon is still better at 3 months old with no extra effort.

While I agree that I'm not being "fair" to these reds, drinking a fine Cabernet Sauvignon for $5 a bottle after 3 months with little effort is really impressive.

I don't think after 9 month you are being fair to any red. I have had wine I thought I was going to pour out turn into great wines. The red mountain needs to age a lot still as well. I let reds sit for 1 year before bottling and dont even open on until 2 years. I do have a 3 year old Cab Sauv that needs bottling and I just tasted it...O Ya it was worth the wait. It sucked when I kegged it
I've been reading a lot of things here and after finding out that cork shelflive is about two years. You may have turned me on to something here. I'll wait for a while before bottling.

Latest posts

Back