Thoughts for next wine project

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckassotis

Reaction score
This could be in the wrong place, so if you want to move it, feel free!

I figured it would go in the winemaking part, but none of the threads felt quite right, since this is fairly broad.

So, I currently have a MM Petite Syrah going, a blackberry port, blackberry wine (attempt), and now a Burgundy.

My question is this - are there any excellent whites that people recommend? My first wine was a Riesling from Alexanders that I sweetened up and I think turned out pretty well. Still waiting on results from MVWS to see if they felt it was worthwhile at all, but got all positive comments.

So I considered another Riesling, perhaps playing with the sweetness more than last time, but almost want to expand a bit. Not a white fan overall, mostly dry reds at this point. I don't mind chardonnays for the most part, but haven't found a whole lot of whites that I enjoy.

So - any thoughts/suggestions would be great!

My plan for the summer is to try out a variety of fruit wines, perhaps try another port as well. Then perhaps try to grab some fresh grapes this fall and see what I can do with that.

Any other super-great kits/musts/etc (red or otherwise) that people tend to agree are worth trying at least once? Been reading the nice thread on the Impressions kits, which look pretty tasty. Perhaps too soon to have comments on them though?

Thanks for any suggestions!

I made the MM All juice Johan Riesling and everyone including some serious wine snobs said it was the cleanest wine they had ever tasted. I left it dry on that one which I normally dont do as I tend to like it semi - sweet myself but it was just so good as it was I didnt want to play around with it. I dont think this is a kit for tweaking at all with the exception of a little sweetening. I stake everything I own that it will blow the doors away from any Alexanders can out there!!!!!!!!!!! Ive made a few buckets and Im nit super thrilled with them but this one is the bomb! Ill take a grape skin kit for a red over the buckets any day though!

Ooh, thanks for the tip Wade! I will have to check that out and perhaps give that a shot!I suppose I could always sweeten half also, and leave half dry. Or something similar, depending on how it turned out.

I like the idea of a Riesling that tastes great when dry though. And yeah, I bet the Alexander's wouldn't be too hard to beat!

I will also need to give a grape skin kit a try. Perhaps I'll find a good cab or something. That would be fun, then try something that grows locally this fall. Norton or chambourcin or something.

Thanks again!

Back