Fall 2017 grape prices

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I inquired a distributor here in CT and got this quote for Cab Sauv and Merlot:

"We will have several options for both Merlot and Cab.
Here is what we have so far:

Cab Sauv
Suisun Valley: $72
Paso Robles: $69
Washington State: $74
Lodi: $47
Central Valley: $46

Merlot
Suisun Valley: $55
Paso Robles: $56
Washington State: $66
Lodi: $40
Central Valley: $40".

Just to put it in reference with what it costs at the source, assuming this is for a lug (36 lbs of fruit). This pricing is for macro-bin quantities, commercial quality fruit, 2-4 tons per acre, picked into our bin, that we are actually paying cash for:

Lodi Chardonnay: $22
Sierra Tempernillo: $27
Amador Cav Sauv: $36

Just to put it in reference with what it costs at the source, assuming this is for a lug (36 lbs of fruit). This pricing is for macro-bin quantities, commercial quality fruit, 2-4 tons per acre, picked into our bin, that we are actually paying cash for:

Lodi Chardonnay: $22
Sierra Tempernillo: $27
Amador Cav Sauv: $36

:po

ten character minimum

Merlot
Suisun Valley: $55

To get a handle of the retail markup premium you might be paying, you can use data from the USDA which tracks prices each year:

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/California/Publications/Grape_Crush/Prelim/

Last years prices can be found at:

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistic...ons/Grape_Crush/Prelim/2016/201602gcbtb08.pdf

(and you will need the district map to make sense of it: https://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State/California/Publications/Grape_Crush/Grape%20Crush%20Districts%20Map.pdf)

So, for example, Suisun Valley is almost entirely in Solano County, which is USDA District 5. Average price of Merlo was $1,340.60 per ton. If you are paying $55 for a lug (36 lbs), and if you then bought a ton at that price you would be paying $3,055 per ton. About a 130% difference from what the farmers were paid on average.

Last edited:
I don't think multiplying the by-the-lug price out to get a price-per-ton is a reasonable way to calculate it. Sure the math works, but that's like taking the per-can price of soda and multiplying by 24 to get the per case price to a consumer. You're paying for the convenience of the single serving in both instances. More volume - lower price.

Does anyone know what it might cost to actually buy a ton of grapes from a supplier?

Seems that in general, my grapes are $0.50 to $1.00 per lug more than last year. Most look to be in the $0.50 camp.

Does anyone know what it might cost to actually buy a ton of grapes from a supplier?

I think @NorCal 's numbers were based on by-the-ton prices.

Guys, you do realize that the prices you see on the websites for grapes from suppliers on the East coast includes shipping all the way across the USA. The price @Norcal post are FOB the Vineyard in CA.

Guys, you do realize that the prices you see on the websites for grapes from suppliers on the East coast includes shipping all the way across the USA. The price @Norcal post are FOB the Vineyard in CA.

Of course. But I want Amazon Prime free 2 day shipping. :h

Yeah, and we also have to pay for all of that stuff that falls off the back of the truck in @JohnT 's neck of the woods.

My prices are what I will pull out of my wallet and hand the vineyard owner. Refrigerated transport and cold handling is the big hitter to get grapes to the east coast.

In 2015 (last time I got grapes from CA) The club in Denver who purchased the grapes directly from the vineyard owner charged $0.11 a pound for shipping from Lodi AVA to Denver (1200 miles). We filled up the better part of a semi trailer.

I only made wine from my "Estate" Cold Hardy grapes in the back yard. My Father was very ill last Summer and I could not pre-order grapes and then not be around to pick them up. My Dad passed in mid August of last year.

The club in Denver lost their source for grapes that they had used for years when the vineyard owner up and sold the vineyard without any notice to the club really. The club was scrambling for grapes last Summer and they ended up purchasing grapes from all over Colorado. Grapes ripen at such a varied timetable in Colorado compared to Lodi, CA that I can't really drive up to Denver (12 hour round trip) every other weekend to haul back what comes in on any certain weekend so I will need to find a new source at some point or just be happy to work with my small amount I get from my Cold Hardy grapes in the back yard.

@ibglowin where did you get grapes from in 2016 or did you skip?

TXWineDuo

Latest posts

Back