Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Country Fruit Winemaking > Inspired Cherry Wine

Old 08-16-2017, 02:41 PM   #21
Forager

Jul 2017
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

hey nice pics pgentile.

So I finally started my gallon of tart cherry wine today. 8.5 lbs of tart cherries with a half liter of cherry juice that I canned last year, and a tiny bit of water just to bring up the volume a bit over a gallon, one Campden tablet and 1/2 tsp of pectic enzyme. Will give it around 36 hours before I pitch the yeast and add sugar.

Any rough estimates on how much sugar to add to one gallon to get the SG up to around 1.090? It was a very wet summer and the cherries are unusually tart and low on sugar.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:12 PM   #22
pgentile
Supporting Members

Apr 2015
Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Thanks, my guess without a hydrometer, and not knowing the sugars in your juice, roughly would be around 2 to 2.5 lbs of sugar to get in your range.

I would get pre-fermentation volume closer to 1.5 gallons. After primary fermentation and removing wine from cherries, you'll be closer to a gallon with maybe a little extra.

Good luck, will be curious how it turns out.

Scooter68 Likes This 
Old 08-16-2017, 04:09 PM   #23
Scooter68
Still getting started at 20 batches & 2 years

Aug 2015
Liked 424 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 445

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgentile View Post
I would get pre-fermentation volume closer to 1.5 gallons. After primary fermentation and removing wine from cherries, you'll be closer to a gallon with maybe a little extra.

Good luck, will be curious how it turns out.
VERY much agree with this. If you are using whole or crushed cherries with pits still in there you will need at least 1.5 gallons to start. Best way to check this is to pull out your fruit bag and check your volume with out the fruit in the bucket. (Assuming you are using fruit bag AND that you have crushed the cherries. ) Without the fruit you should have not less than 3/4 gallon of volume even though some of the cherry pulp will release liquid you will have the pulp and yeast residue to account for.

(Dwight D. Eisenhower)

Old 08-16-2017, 07:04 PM   #24
Forager

Jul 2017
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yup all good, fruit bag pulled up, and still a bit over a gallon. I also still have a couple more jars of cherry juice from last year that I can use to top up when I transfer to secondary.
Also pitted all the cherries right after I picked them. Most people and online posts that I found seemed to agree that not including the pits produces a better quality wine.

pgentile Likes This