Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > General Wine Making Forum > what is the first thing you do after you have crushed and destemmed your grapes?

Old 08-12-2017, 01:55 AM   #11
balatonwine
The Verecund Vigneron

May 2017
Liked 123 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Since I mostly only make white wine, after crushing, I press.

No wine for me while still using tools. But I do drink the free run juice coming off the press (and set aside a few liters that go into the fridge for drinking over the next few days).

Side note on sulfite: I have experimented a lot. I have tried none and then either a spontaneous fermentation or immediately adding commercial yeast. For my only red wine the results were similar with different treatments. But for my white wines the results can be very different with sulfite versus without sulfite plus the cocktail of yeasts and bacteria in the must. The differing results are not bad, just different (but chance of wine faults from fermentation was higher without sulfite). And that difference can vary between different grape varieties. For example, I like my Pinot Gris crisp and fruity, which I have found is not possible to my taste and with my grapes without first applying some sulfite and using commercial yeast.

Johny99 Likes This 
Old 08-12-2017, 10:01 AM   #12
Ajmassa5983

Oct 2016
Liked 363 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 290

I've been letting the 40-50 grape temps at purchase act as my protection. By the time it's warmed up enough for wild yeast and bacteria, Im pitching my commercial yeast. (Just the way I was taught). But I am still learning. And scared to mess with future MLF which will now be done on all batches.
Spring grapes packaged with sulphite pads already registered 45ppm free so2 after crush. But if 0 ppm I guess it wouldn't hurt to make a small addition 20-40 free ppm as insurance.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:52 PM   #13
srcorndog
srcorndog

May 2012
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Glass of wine went to another glass of wine. I have purple hands and have to pick again tomorrow Cayuga whites will start pre dawn before the heat is an issue. Sulfite has been added.

People Like This