Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Barrels & Oaking > Oak cubes compared to % new oak


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-10-2017, 06:28 AM   #1
zadvocate
Senior Member
 
Aug 2015
Posts: 195
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8



Is there an amount or comparison to apply between using Oak Cubes/Chips etc.. to equate to using a percentage of new oak barrels?

Example: If I want to add oak chips to my secondary that would be comparable to aging my wine in 20% new oak, I would add how much? If the manufacturer reccomends 3 oz per 5 gallons, would that equate to 100% new oak?

I found this PDF from Morewine which would seem to indicate that: http://www.morebeer.com/public/pdf/woakcube.pdf

So in my example, .6 oz per 5 gallons would equal 20% new oak.
Thanks for any input.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:43 AM   #2
salcoco
Veteran Wine Maker
 
salcoco's Avatar
 
Jan 2007
Posts: 1,466
Liked 435 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 1


if you were using a barrel the percentage of oak added to the wine would be by tasting, a percentage would be difficult to determine. my point being trying to equate number of cubes to a percent of oak is difficult.you certainly could start with the concept of so many cubes equate to a percentage but it still would come down to your taste level for the oak. if the smaller amount doesn't suffice then a larger dose would be in order. be aware that the smaller dose could take longer to achieve the level you desire.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:13 AM   #3
zadvocate
Senior Member
 
Aug 2015
Posts: 195
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8


I was trying to equate how wineries who say that there wine was aged in 20% new oak to home winemakers that do not use barrels but use oak cubes.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:35 AM   #4
jburtner
Junior Member
 
jburtner's Avatar
 
Apr 2016
Posts: 331
Liked 172 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 96


Make ten batches of wine and oak 2 of them. Blend all. Or 5/1 or similar ratio. I think that generally means that they purchase and incorporate 20% new barrels into their production each year then blend... so 20% new oak also may insinuate 80% old oak.

Cheers!
-johann

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 01:18 PM   #5
ibglowin
Moderator
WMT_MODERATOR.png
 
ibglowin's Avatar
 
Jul 2009
Posts: 17,267
Liked 4480 Times on 2432 Posts
Likes Given: 1707


Apples and Oranges are hard to compare.

20% New Oak means that 20% of the wine went into a brand new barrel. The other 80% went into a once used or something other than new. All the wine is then blended together before it hits the bottling line.

Use the biggest form of oak you can afford to purchase if you want your wines to taste like the oak out of a barrel. Chips are the lowest form of oak and produce the least barrel like oak expression. This all applies to oak quality which is not IMHO the main reason to put a wine into a barrel. Micro Oxidation and Concentration through Evaporation is what makes an oak barrel the tool you want to have in your tool box if you are looking to take your wines to that next level and closer to a commercial wine.
__________________
Mike

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this forum are strictly my own,
and should not be construed as the opinion or policy
of WineMakingTalk.com or its owners


"Killing grapes one cluster at a time since 2009" - Visit the Château!

Location: Lost Almost, NM

2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
zadvocate
Senior Member
 
Aug 2015
Posts: 195
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 8


I understand the benefit of Micro Ox using a barrel and to that end because I don't have a barrel right now I plan on trying a speidel which will provide micro oxygenation.

balatonwine Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Wine Making Forum Replies Last Post
Old balance scale compared to digital Ajmassa5983 Equipment & Sanitation 32 08-06-2017 09:18 PM
WineXpert Anyone compared IM and OB Black Cherry? Chilled Kit Winemaking 0 02-19-2014 08:33 AM
Is there much difference waiting 24 hours, compared to 48 to add the yeast slurry? abefroman Skeeter Pee 6 03-11-2011 01:03 PM
Removing old labels - two methods compared Brewgrrrl General Wine Making Forum 6 03-07-2011 08:15 PM
How good is ho' made wine? Compared to like a $10-20 bottle? abefroman Wine Making from Grapes 17 10-25-2010 11:40 AM


Forum Jump