REVIEW: *allinonewinepump*

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Used my AIO to rack last year's Chardonnay after blending. Worked like a champ. I do like it for my whites. I did run into an ugly growth on the inside of the vacuum valve. I never thought of cleaning it with the tubing, I know STOOPID, but I didn't think of it getting wine. Anyway after pipe cleaning it out and running water through it, I went about racking. Once I was done, I filled a gallon jug with one-step, it had to be cleaned anyway, and took a second partially full and racked the one-step into it until full and flowing to the overflow bottle. Of course I stopped long before the pump. Anyone have a better way to clean the valve?

PS Steve, love the setup and I use the plastic carboys valve to adjust flow even when racking into glass to match my pace of whatever else I'm doing.

IMG_4490.jpg

Thanks John !

Nice picture BTW -

Yes the vacuum precision valve has been a hit for bottling and transferring into plastic and glass carboys;

Just flush out the vacuum release after each use and you should be fine

I'd like to add a bad experience I had with filtersfast. It's nothing in Steve's control, but since they are linked here I'll mention it.
I placed an order on June 20 for the filter housing, wrench, and some filters. Everything listed as in stock.
Didn't get a shipping confirmation, so I called in on June 28 (43 minutes on hold) and was told the housing was back ordered, coming in next week.
Today I still had nothing, and again everything is listed as in stock on their website.
Called in again (20 minutes on hold), and they said it should ship today.
I'm not sure it actually will ship today, or if it would have if I didn't call in again.
All this time there was zero communication from them. No e-mail saying anything was back ordered or any delays.

I'd like to add a bad experience I had with filtersfast. It's nothing in Steve's control, but since they are linked here I'll mention it.
I placed an order on June 20 for the filter housing, wrench, and some filters. Everything listed as in stock.
Didn't get a shipping confirmation, so I called in on June 28 (43 minutes on hold) and was told the housing was back ordered, coming in next week.
Today I still had nothing, and again everything is listed as in stock on their website.
Called in again (20 minutes on hold), and they said it should ship today.
I'm not sure it actually will ship today, or if it would have if I didn't call in again.
All this time there was zero communication from them. No e-mail saying anything was back ordered or any delays.

Sorry to hear that !!

You can also find the same part # on line at amazon.com and walmart.com

Finally got my filters last week, and filtered today. I did 5 gallon of my Muscat, then 11 gallons of Dornfelder, using the 5 micron filter. I didn't change or rinse the filter between them. I figured going from a white to a red was OK.

Everything worked great. WAY less waste than when I've used the buon vino super jet filter. There was no leaks anywhere, and I poured the roughly 1 cup of waste into a wine glass and enjoyed.

I did have a lot of foam when starting the Muscat. I had ran starsan mixture through everything beforehand and shook it all out as well as I could, but evidently still a decent amount in there as you can see. All that foam went into the overflow anyway, had just enough to still fill the carboy.

Tomorrow I'll run it all through a 1 micron filter.

FYI, I used the parts Steve listed for the filter setup, but for the 5 micron filter I used the Hydronix SDC-25-1005 since the Pentek 5 micron had been out of stock when ordering. It seemed to work fine. It's a couple mm shorter than the pentek 1 micron ones, but still looks like it had a good seal.

AIOWP has certainly been worth the cash for me so far.

20170726_231220.jpg

20170726_232638.jpg

I am on vacation till this weekend, just a FYI , if filter fast is out of those filters - amazon or walmart.com has the same exact filters.

Nice review BTW

As a followup, ran everything through the 1 micron filter last night. Easily handled all 16 gallons, didn't see any evidence of it getting clogged. Both wines had been racked a few times already (fermented last october) and were pretty clear already beforehand (though didn't use any clearing agents).

Order placed this morning and I look very forward to it. I did my filter items on Amazon, as they were all in stock there and didn't want to do some with filter fast and some with Amazon....easier there, and it ships free.

I ordered the deluxe package, so I don't really need two racking canes correct? Since it comes with a splash racking cane, I really just need the one for what I'm racking "from"....correct?

I am having difficulty pumping while leaving sediment undisturbed. Everything else is smooth sailing.
But when I am racking off sediment I cannot figure out how to stop the pumping while leaving the lees undisturbed as well as the transferred wine undisturbed.
If I stop the pump when I get close to the sediment the wine from the new vessel travels back into the empty vessel kicking up everything and mixing the racked wine in with the lees. And I need to lift the vessel off the floor higher then the receiving vessel to stop it.
Lifting the "from" racking cane out of the wine creates a bubbling whirlpool in the new vessel for a few seconds before I'm able to break the vacuum seal.
Is there a little trick that i am unaware of? Lifting the racking cane while pressing the vacuum release? I'm thinking the answer is probably something simple

Have both vessels at the same height, it will stop the backflow.
I am having difficulty pumping while leaving sediment undisturbed. Everything else is smooth sailing.
But when I am racking off sediment I cannot figure out how to stop the pumping while leaving the lees undisturbed as well as the transferred wine undisturbed.
If I stop the pump when I get close to the sediment the wine from the new vessel travels back into the empty vessel kicking up everything and mixing the racked wine in with the lees. And I need to lift the vessel off the floor higher then the receiving vessel to stop it.
Lifting the "from" racking cane out of the wine creates a bubbling whirlpool in the new vessel for a few seconds before I'm able to break the vacuum seal.
Is there a little trick that i am unaware of? Lifting the racking cane while pressing the vacuum release? I'm thinking the answer is probably something simple

I had the same problem as you. When racking low to high, wine starts flowing back to the source when you shut off the pump like you describe. When racking high to low, wine keeps flowing to the destination after shutting off the pump, easily resulting in an overflow.

Further back in this thread (I'm on my mobile now or I would search) someone suggested adding a food grade quarter turn valve into the siphon line. Their idea was to increase vacuum in the destination container to improve degassing. But I added the valve just to address the problem you raise. For me, it works great.

Note: Steve does not endorse this modification. His concern is increased wear and tear on the pump. But if you turn off the pump quickly after closing the valve there isn't much increase in pressure.

This is how I do it - even tonight as I just got done racking alot of carboys.

While transferring with some sediment on the transferring carboy - I will prop the carboy on its side and use a flashlight to see exactly where the racking tip is located. Once it starts getting close to the bottom - start releasing the vacuum by hitting the vacuum release button. Keep it off the sediment and pull some air thru the racking cane - this will stop any any anti reverse siphoning effect, turn off pump while holding the vacuum release button.

The little bit of air is not going to hurt your wine

This is how I do it - even tonight as I just got done racking alot of carboys.

While transferring with some sediment on the transferring carboy - I will prop the carboy on its side and use a flashlight to see exactly where the racking tip is located. Once it starts getting close to the bottom - start releasing the vacuum by hitting the vacuum release button. Keep it off the sediment and pull some air thru the racking cane - this will stop any any anti reverse siphoning effect, turn off pump while holding the vacuum release button.

The little bit of air is not going to hurt your wine

So to reiterate, Transferring carboy to carboy w/ sediment.

-keep carboys at the same height
-start releasing some vacuum as you approach
unwanted solids at bottom
-lift transferring cane to allow some air in the line to ensure zero back flow
-turn off pump

Thanks. This should definitely take care of my concerns of:
-Back-flowing good wine mixing into the lees
-and bubbling a full carboy sending good wine into the overflow. .

I wasn't very concerned with air 'hurting'the wine as much as I was sending out overflow. I'm assuming allowing air in the line under less vacuum (from working the release valve) would cause a weaker bubbling and not overflow much, if any wine at all. I'll play with it. I'm thinking I might be able get 0% backflow while also having 0% air bubbles with some finesse.
Thanks

Couldn't an auto-siphon be used as your racking cane? The sediment stays below the sediment tip inlet level and just shut the pump when all the liquid is transferred, right?

Couldn't an auto-siphon be used as your racking cane? The sediment stays below the sediment tip inlet level and just shut the pump when all the liquid is transferred, right?

I dont believe that the auto siphon fits properly -

Both racking canes should have a anti sediment tip installed on them

That is correct - ^

The carboys do not have to be the same height

Understood. But it helps with the backflow. I originally racked this way and basically had tunnel vision trying to figure out what I've been doing different. Back on track now.

Probably could be rigged to work. But my problem was racked wine flowing back into the sediment after shutting off pump. I'll normally tie a piece of an old strainer mesh bag with a rubberband to the bottom of the cane as insurance. If I got backflow into lees, I just pour this mixed sediment/wine into a mason jar, and put in the refrigerator to separate If I needed the wine for topping.

Lately I've been accounting for extra waste and making more than needed with an extra 1 gallon jug going when possible. Which gradually becomes a half gal jug- to a bottle to nothing as rackings pass.

Im starting to rack this years Chilean, just finished mlf. I have a 6 gallon Carmenere , a 14 gallon Demi john and 4 gallon better bottle of Merlot to do to start bulk aging.

Yesterday I bottled a 5 gallon Merlot left from last year to make some room. Used all in one to rack and bottle. Everything worked great!

Today I racked the 6 gallon Carmenere. Using the all in one I racked from 6 gal better bottle into a 6.5 gallon glass carboy. Then racked what i could from the 6.5 to a 5 gallon glass. Then back to the 6.5. Did the extra racking to degas further..Looked like it did a great job!

I then added oak spirals and kmeta to the cleaned 6 gallon better bottle. I then used the plastic carboy transfer kit and racked from the 6.5 gallon to the 6 gallon better bottle. I dialed back the adjustable valve about 3.5 turns and the racking went GREAT! Not one collapse of the better bottle! GREAT product, that All in One!!

Tomorrow i will do the demi and 4 gallon Merlot!

image1 (25).JPG

Latest posts

Back