REVIEW: *Whole House Wine Filtering*

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
richmke, I tried it again and again it filled the filter halfway before pulling liquid out of the filter. I do think I have it set up correctly (in and out are pretty simple to figure out...). HOWEVER, I reread this whole thread and somebody mentioned they had the same problem -- and it worked much better if the filter is above your source. I don't have the filter permanently mounted, so it sat on the floor (in an upright position) between the source and destination carboys. I tried it again lifting the filter so it was over the source carboy and it did fill. So perhaps I didn't have it set up correctly after all, just not in the way I was thinking....

geoff

Do a eBay search fp11x50.

I s a 1 micron filter that has a soft top and bottom. I buy them in a box of 50 for around 63.00. If you can't find it left me know. I'll pull up my history and get the auction number.

EBay item number 120966410130

I've bought from him 3 times.
item must not be available any more, can't find under either # item or fp

Finally tried the filter set up with my all in one. Followed the directions and had no problems at all. My only problem was that I did not use the final finning agent on this Chardonnay kit thinking I could just filter. Are used a one micron filter and after filtering, wine was not crystal-clear. I have never filtered wine before so this is a learning experience for me. All in all it worked really well and I am impressed.

Finally tried the filter set up with my all in one. Followed the directions and had no problems at all. My only problem was that I did not use the final finning agent on this Chardonnay kit thinking I could just filter. Are used a one micron filter and after filtering, wine was not crystal-clear. I have never filtered wine before so this is a learning experience for me. All in all it worked really well and I am impressed.

I don’t know a lot about filtering and have only done it twice now. But I do know they say to never filter cloudy wine. And that filtering doesn’t clear wine, just ‘cleans’ it. So filtering shouldn’t be thought of as an outlet to clear the wine.

Goof to know. it was pretty clear and I racked it to degas. The first gallon got a little cloudy from the cane touching the sediment. I guess it wasn’t as clear as I thought.

Goof to know. it was pretty clear and I racked it to degas. The first gallon got a little cloudy from the cane touching the sediment. I guess it wasn’t as clear as I thought.
Always rack to a clean carboy before filtering or bottling, that way you don’t get the sediment stirred up

I did.I racked from a 6 gallon carboy to a 5 gallon and 1 gallon. When I rack to the 1 gallon that’s when some of the sediment got stirred up in the 1 gallon carboy. Still I should’ve finned first

I did.I racked from a 6 gallon carboy to a 5 gallon and 1 gallon. When I rack to the 1 gallon that’s when some of the sediment got stirred up in the 1 gallon carboy. Still I should’ve finned first
I was watching a you tube video of Someone using a whole house filter to vacuum pump filter their wine. I noticed they turned the filter unit upside down. Just wondering why they would do this also is The PEX pipe necessary to use?

I was watching a you tube video of Someone using a whole house filter to vacuum pump filter their wine. I noticed they turned the filter unit upside down. Just wondering why they would do this also is The PEX pipe necessary to use?

It is a good idea to turn the filter upside down in order for all your wine can be drained back into your carboy. You will typically only use 3 tablespoons of wine if you follow this method. The PEX pipe is not needed anymore - I would recommend using the precision vacuum valve to slow the wine going thru the filter element. (http://www.allinonewinepump.com/product/new-precision-adjustable-vacuum-valve/ )

Thanks FYI I bought those .5 micron filters from H2O and I will let you know how they work.

Thanks FYI I bought those .5 micron filters from H2O and I will let you know how they work.

please give us an accurate measurement of the filter element and a picture of the bottom of the filter element - different filters seal differently

please give us an accurate measurement of the filter element and a picture of the bottom of the filter element - different filters seal differently
This is the filter The hole is 1 inch in diameter. With is 2.5 height is 9 13/16

Attachments

• AC570DE8-32BA-4FBE-B414-21DA29885854.jpeg
    AC570DE8-32BA-4FBE-B414-21DA29885854.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I will measure mine when I get back home .

I found alot of difference between filter elements

Last edited:
Here is the picture of the filter cartridge I recommend. It is 10 inches long, if you used the one you have the wine will bypass the filter.

It took a long time to figure out all the correct part numbers that will work together

20180720_193220.jpg

I filtered with it and it seemed to work. I tightened the housing. It filled up and I flipped it over. I can't say for certain that the wine didn't bypass the filter as you say. Is there some way to know for sure? I will have to check it again. The website has it fitting a 10' whole house filter housing. https://www.h2odistributors.com/LF-PP-00.5-249 also they have the P1 Pentek listed as 9 3/4, is the one above different than this ?https://www.h2odistributors.com/p1

This is the only place I found the .5 micron filter.

I filtered with it and it seemed to work. I tightened the housing. It filled up and I flipped it over. I can't say for certain that the wine didn't bypass the filter as you say. Is there some way to know for sure? I will have to check it again. The website has it fitting a 10' whole house filter housing. https://www.h2odistributors.com/LF-PP-00.5-249 also they have the P1 Pentek listed as 9 3/4, is the one above different than this ?https://www.h2odistributors.com/p1

This is the only place I found the .5 micron filter.

I went thru all this and found that not all 10'' filters are the same -
no issues with people following these simple link that I provided -
https://www.allinonewinepump.com/product/wine-filter-setup/

Latest posts

Back