Primary Bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevs15

Reaction score
Is it okay to use a regular bucket (like one found at Lowes or Home Depot) instead of paying almost $30 at a wine shop?

Thanks!

It needs to be food grade, the ones at Lowes and Home Depot are not

It sure is, I do it all the time and a lot of people here do from what I read. The only down I have with them is I make 5 or 6 gallon batches and I need a 7-8 gallon fermenter to accommodate

It needs to be food grade, the ones at Lowes and Home Depot are not

Really, that is news. I am not home at the moment but I looked them up at the time I bought them and I was sure they we safe to use

Like Angelina said, they wouldn't be large enough for a 6 gallon kit.
Good Luck!!

Lowe's and Wal-Mart have what I use. I don't know what you call em, but I think they are maybe "rubber-maid". The salesperson told me that they are food grade, that they are used for storing food in a cooler or refrigerator. You can get em about any size. I have em from 1 gallon to 7 gallons, they even have a lip that comes with em. I have taken mine and with a 1 gallon jug marked with a magic marker where the level will be at each gallon. I also drilled a 1/8 inch hole in the lip of each to attach a tag for information about the must.

Semper Fi

I went back and researched this on past post, and there is a lot of different opinions on this. Tom brought something up in one of past post that if it is not food grade you risk the chance of chemicals seeping into the wine....that is enough for me.

Go to a bakery and ask if you can have some buckets the frosting comes in. They are food grade and I never have to pay for them. They just send them top recyclers

That is a good point Rob, and Mike that is a great idea, and Free is a Bonus ;)

Go to a bakery and ask if you can have some buckets the frosting comes in. They are food grade and I never have to pay for them. They just send them top recyclers

Mike has the right idea. I get mine from the bakery - if they have a strong smell due to icing or whatever was in it - just be sure to clean it well.

Yes we all like the idea of free when we can, however I would like to approach this from a different angle. The free buckets are generally too small for a full 6 gallon batch. Yes you can make it smaller and ferment out and add water later, which leads to a diliuted wine lower in alcohol. You also can't get an accurate starting SG. Now is it food safe? WHo knows for sure. Will it leach chemicals? Again who knows. I just spent from $75-200 on a kit. $25-30 for a fermenter bucket that can be used dozens of times, lets say 25-30 times. That is a buck per batch. Anybody see where I am going with this? I figure a dollar for peace of mind is well worth it to me.

Here is a plain bucket the same as you would get free with no spigot.
http://www.finevinewines.com/XPListSubRe.asp?MM_PartNumber=5115

Last edited:
I would not trust an employee at Wally World to even know what store they were in. You did make a rare find if you actually found an employee there.

Yes we all like the idea of free when we can, however I would like to approach this from a different angle. The free buckets are generally too small for a full 6 gallon batch. Yes you can make it smaller and ferment out and add water later, which leads to a diliuted wine lower in alcohol. You also can't get an accurate starting SG. Now is it food safe? WHo knows for sure. Will it leach chemicals? Again who knows. I just spent from $75-200 on a kit. $25-30 for a fermenter bucket that can be used dozens of times, lets say 25-30 times. That is a buck per batch. Anybody see where I am going with this? I figure a dollar for peace of mind is well worth it to me.

Here is a plain bucket the same as you would get free with no spigot.
http://www.finevinewines.com/XPListSubRe.asp?MM_PartNumber=5115
Not everyone here makes kits. I have a 2x10gallon, a 3x8 gallon, 2x6 gallon fermentors and a ton of 5 gallon buckets. I use them all. I did 2 kits last year because I was broke in October and needed something to ferment in January, the bug has to be scratched, Ya know

Hey, I agree with you and I have a few buckets and other fermenters. It really all depends on what you make the most of. If you have lots of fruit and don't mind odd size batches, use them. I do however see the value in the store bought buckets made from the right plastic at a fair price to use for med and high end kits.

I know its not a great idea but I still use my original primaries from when I started making wine and have had a freakin lot of wine go through them. I am in the process of replacing them with 10 gallon primaries as we speak though as I know Im pushing those buckets way to far! That said Im very gentle on my buckets and only use very soft cloth to wipe them down.

I still have my 2, 10 gallon originals, and I did pay for them. Truth, buying a primary bucket to ferment in is one of the small cost of this hobby. Hell I drive to California in Octobers to get Napa grapes. The first tank of gas cost more than a primary

Lowe's does carry Food Grade 5 gallon buckets. And air tight lids right next to them. The buckets run about $4 after tax and all. I can't recall how much the lids were.

Back