How many loquats per gallon?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Ok I just got back from our daughters place in So Cal. Brought back two 4lb bags of ripe loquats (Total of 8 pounds after de-seeding and de-steming). Frozen within 2 couple of hours of picking, (Hey it takes a while to de-seed & de-Stem them)

So the question - All the recipes I see are a little less than direct about the quantity of fruit needed. Can't find any that say how many pounds per gallon of De-Stemmed and De-Seeded Loquats. Even for most cobbler and pie recipes they fail to mention if the weight is before or after de-seeding/de-steming.

I've seen 4 lbs/gal in one place but without reference to that being an after or before weight.

Anyone have a tried and true number?

The one time I've made it I used 6#/gallon.
The loquats will have a nice amaretto smell but mine largely blew off. Next time I make this will try to extend the fermentation at a lower temp.

Thanks - I de-seeded and de-stemmed them before freezing. So my total weight of 8 lbs "Finished" weight should be at least 10-12 lbs of loquats with seeds. The seed on these were at least 1/3 to 1/2 the weight of the whole fruit. That's why I asked. Shoulda taken pictures of the tree, fruit and separated fruit/seeds. These are a lot like an avacado in comparing fruit to seed ratio.

I'm thinking I easily have enough for 2 gallons of wine and perhaps enough for a small cobbler (2 lbs)

Latest posts

Back