Petit Sirah from Lanza Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may be pressing the wine this weekend (would like as much time as I can muster on the skins, so I might hold off until Monday or Tuesday of next week). If I punch the grapes one last time on Sunday, wait for it to form a good, solid cap and poke my racking cane through the cap, I can pretty much vacuum out most of the juice, yes? Once the juice is out, I can more easily haul the brute out to the garage to press the grape skins to get the remaining juice.

Theoretically, yes, but mine still has a tendency to clog, making for a slow racking. I use, as others, a tube with holes in it that gets pushed into the must and siphon out of that, it helps.

I may be pressing the wine this weekend (would like as much time as I can muster on the skins, so I might hold off until Monday or Tuesday of next week). If I punch the grapes one last time on Sunday, wait for it to form a good, solid cap and poke my racking cane through the cap, I can pretty much vacuum out most of the juice, yes? Once the juice is out, I can more easily haul the brute out to the garage to press the grape skins to get the remaining juice.
Like @Johnd said, use something to separate the wine from the skins. What I did in a pinch, was use the part of the bucket press (which is a bucket) with the holes drilled into it, used my brew bag inside out and covered the bucket on the outside, then plunged it into the brute with the wine and skins. It was tough to do, but it worked. If I'm there when you press, one of us can press the bucket down (me) the other can operate the AIO (you).

It did make the brute lite enough for me to carry to my garage alone and all by myself.

Get a section of 4 inch PVC and cap one end. Drill a 'gajillion' holes in it. Place it into a mesh paint strainer bag and place it into the fermenter (open end up). Then just stick your racking cane into that and rack away.

EDIT: Here's a pic from @vacuumpumpman :

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15976&page=94

Last edited:
Get a section of 4 inch PVC and cap one end. Drill a 'gajillion' holes in it. Place it into a mesh paint strainer bag and place it into the fermenter (open end up). Then just stick your racking cane into that and rack away.

EDIT: Here's a pic from @vacuumpumpman :

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15976&page=94

And if you start with a piece of perforated pvc (French drain piping), you'll start with a good many of your gajillion holes already drilled.

I use a piece of perforated vinyl soffit, rolled into a tube, and snap the seams together, with a little cap on the bottom.

IMG_0568.jpg

I tried this last year using the AIO, but my flow rate was very slow to non existent. Maybe did not have the gajillion holes or may be my drilled holes were too small? Should have addressed this before last Thursday oh well next year.

I tried this last year using the AIO, but my flow rate was very slow to non existent. Maybe did not have the gajillion holes or may be my drilled holes were too small? Should have addressed this before last Thursday oh well next year.

When I did it on Sunday afternoon, I found that I had to move the bucket around a little, those skins don't want to let that juice get by. They must form a nice layer against the strainer bag on the outside of the tube. I had to stop the AIO several times to let the flow catch up and give enough for the AIO to pump w/o getting any air.

yes the skins will cover up the holes at times - best is to shimmy the pipe or use a utensil to scrape off the skins. Yes turning off the pump - so the liquid can fill up the void is always good practice.

@Johnd - I like your idea - I made mine along time ago and was all concerned at that time for it to be made for potable water.

yes the skins will cover up the holes at times - best is to shimmy the pipe or use a utensil to scrape off the skins. Yes turning off the pump - so the liquid can fill up the void is always good practice.

@Johnd - I like your idea - I made mine along time ago and was all concerned at that time for it to be made for potable water.

Had the same concern Steve, best I could determine through the product literature, the pvc in the siding was the same as the pipe. I've used it a bunch with no problems. I am on a mission to find a better solution though, and have a quote for a stainless steel mesh tube, a little pricey. There's a pvc plastic filtration mesh pipe, inexpensive, but only available in minimum orders 1500 feet from the factory, no resellers. I'll find something.

Had the same concern Steve, best I could determine through the product literature, the pvc in the siding was the same as the pipe. I've used it a bunch with no problems. I am on a mission to find a better solution though, and have a quote for a stainless steel mesh tube, a little pricey. There's a pvc plastic filtration mesh pipe, inexpensive, but only available in minimum orders 1500 feet from the factory, no resellers. I'll find something.

Just take that 1500 feet, make it into a gazillion tubes and sell them to Steve as an added option to the AIO!?!

Traveled to Bucks County and back last night. Got home around 11:30. So, I recruited my wife to punch the wine at 7:00 and then I punched it down again before shutting down for the night.

This morning, my wine temp dropped to 78*. So, I'm guessing that fermentation is slowing and this weekend will be good for pressing. I'll do a gravity test tonight when I get home to be sure. But I'm hoping for something around 1.010.

It smells great. I'm surprised at how well this is going (I realize I shouldn't have said that).

Got home and punched the wine down. Then did a gravity. The wine SG is 1.004 right now. Moving day may just be tomorrow (if the schedule allows). How long is too long to wait before transferring to a secondary. If this were a kit, I wouldn't worry about it till Saturday or Sunday.

I'm amazed it's gone this far this fast. Got a little taste, too. Oooh boy, that's potent.

Let's see about after work tomorrow. I just PM'ed you, will be back in a few, have to pick the daughter up at the school right now, if I'm late she'll turn me into a pumpkin.

Did not check SG today, but cap is still reforming in just a few minutes. Must temp at 76. Hoping to hold out until Sunday. My Saturday is full.

Been jumping since 6:00 this morning and am finally getting to sit down.

The PS was at 0.992-ish this morning and we prepped to press. pH is 3.73 and TA is somewhere between 6.5 and 7.1.

I made a syphon filter out of sewer pipe and a cap. Made one for Craig while I was at it.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1475339023.600446.jpg

When he got here, we got about 3 gal of juice out of the bucket and brought the brute w/skins upstairs to the garage for pressing.

Bucket press worked exceptionally. I know we didn't get all that we could out of the skins. But that's okay. The PS juice we got is plenty tannic and not terribly acidic.

We got around 7.1 gallons out of three lugs of grapes. The juice will settle tonight and I'll start MLF in the morning after racking the wine off whatever fluffy stuff is there.

The skins are tucked away in my freezer, separated into 4-1 gallon bags.

And most of the cleanup is done. Finally got a sandwich. Need to run over to the LHBS to get some MLB for the chard and a 1 gallon jug for the PS. Then, I might take a nap.

Now for some pics (for you doubters out there):
ImageUploadedByWine Making1475338866.842441.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1475338879.628775.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1475338896.130053.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1475338911.614002.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1475338924.582993.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1475338937.146117.jpg

Dad's coming over in about 30 minutes. We'll press the petite sirrah (maybe the Cab - its sitting at 1.018). Will also do final measurements/adjustments on the Syrah and Viognier and pitch yeast on those. If we press the Cab today, I'll also take those skins and use them to start my LR 3 Country Cabernet kit.

Latest posts

Back