Pears!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies! I slurried bentonite into the primary phase before pitching yeast but have not used any secondary clearing agents... I do have some Sparkoloid on hand.

-jonathan

Hi Jonathan, i have a question regarding why you'd use bentonite prior to pitching yeast. From my understanding, bentonite is for dragging particles to the bottom but why would you want that during fermentation given that those particles may contain esters and sugars...and yeast?

Just wondering about your reasoning there, it obviously didnt affect the ferment.

Hi Jonathan, i have a question regarding why you'd use bentonite prior to pitching yeast. From my understanding, bentonite is for dragging particles to the bottom but why would you want that during fermentation given that those particles may contain esters and sugars...and yeast?

Just wondering about your reasoning there, it obviously didnt affect the ferment.

Bentonite is frequently used as a clearing agent, in with the alcoholic fermentation. During AF, the particulate bentonite is circulated by CO2 production throughout the must, increasing its effectiveness at attracting oppositely charged particles. That turbulence keeps it all moving pretty well throughout the vessel. To my knowledge, esters and sugars are in solution and are not particulates, and therefore not affected by appropriately sized doses of bentonite, the yeast will end up in the bottom with the bentonite as the fermentation winds down.

In proper doses, it is a productive addition, but if the dosage is too large, it may strip some properties from the wine, so be judicious in the dosing. These days, most wine kits come with a little bentonite dose, so it is a frequent addition.

I bottled it a couple of months ago, I blended it with apple wine I made at the same time. I would do the following if I did it again. Use a mesh bag that is made for this as the pulp was unbelievable and very difficult to remove. It took forever using two different wire mesh kitchen type strainer to get the pulp out. Use only tartaric acid to adjust the TA, not the blends as I did. I believe I used a white wine yeast , cote de blancs I believe . Look at the post and I believe someone recommends it in there. Use a very fine filter when you bottle, I used a no 2 I believe and I'm seeing some very fine sediment in the bottle. The wine is good, very light and the flavor is still developing and getting better. I don't know how you would measure the SG if all the fruit are in bags however and I guess you'll have to use a set recipe and adjust according to the weight of the pears . I cored the fruit prior to fermentation, but left the skins on. Hope this helps. Paul

Thanks for taking time to write all that out Paul! We actually have a bladder press so the sediment isn't an issue but I can see where it could be. We pressed last night. OG was 1.051 and we added sugar to get to a 1.075 sp grav hoping for around a 10%ABV for a nice mellow wine. We pressed with skins on and then placed 5 cups of cut up fresh pineapple into mesh bags and then those into the juice in the fermenters. Hoping to add a little more flavor and interest to the wine. We ended up with 15 gallons of pear juice so we have 3 fermenters going. We have not adjusted acid yet. My pH meter is messed up. Do you think I could add acid later and be ok?
Thanks for the heads up on the tartaric acid. We added yeast tonight... Rhone something .. Can't remember exactly right now and my records are in the other room lol.
I may bug you again with questions if you don't mind.
Thanks again !

"Do you think I could add acid later and be ok?" My understanding is you want to adjust it earlier rather than later. Adjust half way and give it a couple more days and check again. I'm curious how much actual juice you got from the pears themselves after pressing? Paul

Hi Paul. I have not been here in a long time. Just now saw your question. We had 15 gallons of juice. After racking a couple of times we have about 12 gallons now. It is in cold storage and needing some attention. It hasn't cleared well and the acid is low. Not sure what to do with it at this point. Lol

Latest posts

Back