Death by Double (Double Chocolate, Double chocolate oatmeal stout)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
Death by Double (Double Chocolate, Double coffee oatmeal stout)

This is stout recipe (founders clone) which I have tweaked.
Shooting for 7.5 % & 30 ibu

Ingredients:
6.6 lbs. light,, LME
2 lbs. light DME
24 oz. flaked oats
1.0 lb. chocolate malt
.75 lb roast barley malt
.5 lb debittered, black malt
.5 lb. crystal malt 120L
2.0 oz. ground Sumatran coffee
2.0 oz. ground Kona coffee
2.5 oz. dark, bittersweet baker’s chocolate
1.5 oz. unsweetened chocolate baking nibs
1.1 oz 14.3 AAU Nugget pellet hops (60 min
0.5 oz 2.5 AAU Willamette pellet hops (30 min.)
0.5 oz 2.5 AAU Willamette pellet hops (0 min.)
1⁄2 tsp. yeast nutrient (last 15 minutes)

05 ale yeast

Add the Sumatran coffee and two chocolate varieties at the end of the boil.

Add the Kona coffee and condition for one week,

ImageUploadedByWine Making1445713762.177645.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Elmer, sounds like a project. Two questions: your recipe calls for cocoa nibs, is that the same as the Baker's chocolate? And , you are adding the nutrient 15 minutes before the end of the boil. Is that an effective time to add that? I ask the second question because don't brewers feel that the chilling period is a period where the wort is most subject to infection, and if you add nutrient before you pitch the yeast are you not then inviting problems? I am not asking because I think I know the answer. I am wondering if it might not be better to add the nutrient after you have pitched the yeast...

Hi Elmer, sounds like a project. Two questions: your recipe calls for cocoa nibs, is that the same as the Baker's chocolate? And , you are adding the nutrient 15 minutes before the end of the boil. Is that an effective time to add that? I ask the second question because don't brewers feel that the chilling period is a period where the wort is most subject to infection, and if you add nutrient before you pitch the yeast are you not then inviting problems? I am not asking because I think I know the answer. I am wondering if it might not be better to add the nutrient after you have pitched the yeast...

I am using bakers chocolate, LHBS did not use the nibs (atleast he could not tell me if they were sweetened or unsweetened)

I have always added nutrient before yeast.
Since I built my chiller cool down period is quick.

And I don't fear infection!
<throws salt over shoulder, knocks on wood>

Sounds tasty and thanks for sharing.
I may have to try this one however, I will have to convert it into an all grain recipe as we do not do extract brewing

ImageUploadedByWine Making1445746933.273199.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1445746952.855240.jpg
You know it is thick when the hops just sit on top of the mist.

This stuff was black, like"none more black"

15 mins of boiling temps should be enough to not only sanitize, but sterilize the nutrient addition.

As an aside, I recently perused a Founder's clone and read that some of those that had brewed it recommended to cold brew the second coffee addition. Someone also posted that the head brewer made the first coffee addition while mashing.

Tried the all grain version today. Changed a bit of the recipe to suit my stock and needs. Hope it turns out good!

Racking today. Adding the second coffee addition.
ImageUploadedByWine Making1446909147.296049.jpg

I have decided I am going to separate out 1 gallon and age on 1 oz of oak, which will have soaked in 2 oz of whiskey.
Maybe a little more whiskey will have to adjust to taste.
Intend to age this for a month
ImageUploadedByWine Making1446909281.177232.jpg

This looks really good... I have a chocolate stout not quite ready to bottle but it is made with far fewer ingredients (also whole grain) but I think that yours may have a far richer more complex taste. .

At this early stage i am finding the coffee completely taking over and the chocolate taste almost nonexistent. I did raise the bitter level up a bit so this may have something to do with it.

At this early stage i am finding the coffee completely taking over and the chocolate taste almost nonexistent. I did raise the bitter level up a bit so this may have something to do with it.

Mine had a strong chocolate aroma, but more coffee taste.
It also has a chocolate film floating on top.

I am debating how this flavor will fare with whiskey and oak aging????

Mine had a strong chocolate aroma, but more coffee taste.
It also has a chocolate film floating on top.

I am debating how this flavor will fare with whiskey and oak aging????

Whiskey/oak should be great but may require a bit of aging to get the flavors to meld nicely.

Soaking 1/2 oz of med toast Hungarian cubes in 1 oz of maker Mark.
Might up the whiskey to 2 oz in a few weeks depending on taste.
I will only be oaking/aging 1 gallon of stout

Bottled all but 1 gallon, which will be aged on 1 oz oak/1oz makers mark

ImageUploadedByWine Making1447548185.101055.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1447550517.404920.jpg

Last edited:
2 weeks in the bottle. Needs to sit and carb more.
Flavor wise it is a chocolate covered coffee.
I goofed up the SG reading (didn't stir before I took 1st reading, so SG was low. According to calculations and reading it is 5.5%, but I had enough fermentable sugar for 7.5)
The beer leaves you warm and fuzzy like a 7% beer.
It has just enough bitterness, from coffee and hop.
I am going to let a few are for a good long while.
ImageUploadedByWine Making1448768548.589051.jpg

Whoa Nelly... Does that mean it will continue to ferment in the bottle? And does that suggest that you will have real gushers in your hand when you crack open a bottle in a couple of weeks or more?

Latest posts

Back