Fermentation lock, or not?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidNW

Reaction score
Hello,

I generally make wine, but bought a beer kit and have started the primary stage of the beer. I'm using a 23L plastic bucket/pail with a snap on lid and fitted it with an airlock half filled with water - the beer kit instructions said to do this.

I pitched the yeast yesterday afternoon. This morning there is very little, if any, movement in the airlock, but on taking the snap on lid off, fermentation has clearly started.

Is there reason to have the airlock fitted, as it seems to be of little practical use? Could I just have the lid loosely fitted without the airlock, as I do when I make wine?

Many thanks,

David.

Last edited:
Beer is very sensitive where infection is concerned. If you don't see much activity don't worry, that happens sometimes. You could leave it open if you want to try to make a sour beer, if you're lucky it gets infected with brett and have a tasty sour; if not you might get the runs...

Thanks for the replies. The beer is fermenting vigorously now, so I guess all is well. Still no activity in the airlock, but the lid is bulging, so there is a lot pressure.

Latest posts

Back