Jim's foray into gluten-free brewing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would you say it's worth the effort?

Probably not worth the expense, which equals boughten gluten free beer (though it tastes better). I have never had just the straight kit, but I'd go that route next time to save costs.

Also, since I found out about Brewer's Clarity (sold to homebrewers as Clarity Ferm) through this thread, I am experimenting with that to see if I can produce gluten free grain-based beers. That would be the best of both worlds. Gennie beer that's gluten free. More on that in a month...

Probably not worth the expense, which equals boughten gluten free beer (though it tastes better). I have never had just the straight kit, but I'd go that route next time to save costs.

Also, since I found out about Brewer's Clarity (sold to homebrewers as Clarity Ferm) through this thread, I am experimenting with that to see if I can produce gluten free grain-based beers. That would be the best of both worlds. Gennie beer that's gluten free. More on that in a month...
For better taste might be worth it...
Hope Brewer's Clarity works out though

Well, we got the first taste of this last night, 3 days before the 2-week mark on carbonation. It tastes remarkably complex. It did turn out a straw color.

It apparently will need 1-2 more weeks to carb, since we get the gas on uncapping but the beer is still pretty flat. After running comparisons, I'm about done with priming sugar. I get much better results subbing 5 oz. table sugar.

If I remember, I'll get a pic next time we try it.
What issue are you running into with priming sugar?

Not enough carbonation? No bubbles at all?

Are you measuring it out by weight or by volume? Do you use an online calculator? I know plenty of people get good results using priming sugar. I've primed with priming sugar, table sugar, brown sugar, and maple syrup, all with pretty good results by using the calculator from Northern Brewer.

Well, it did carb up and I like it. The Cascade makes it more complex than any commercial sorghum based beer I've had. Most importantly, my wife likes it. I made it for her. The head dissipates fast so I'd add 8 oz. maltodextrine next time instead of 4. The bubbles on the sides are because it was cold beer poured in a warm glass. Sipping it now - almost gone!

Not enough carbonation? No bubbles at all?

Are you measuring it out by weight or by volume? Do you use an online calculator? I know plenty of people get good results using priming sugar. I've primed with priming sugar, table sugar, brown sugar, and maple syrup, all with pretty good results by using the calculator from Northern Brewer.

If you look at a calculator, table sugar will give you more carb at equal weight. I've used all of those you mention except maple syrup. I like the coarser table sugar bubbles. And it's always around.

For better taste might be worth it...
Hope Brewer's Clarity works out though

I have read extensively on it, and I believe it will. We will know in another week or two if she can drink that beer.

This enough bubbles for you?
View attachment 24277
That'll do. I've only had one beer so far do that, and it was because I underestimated the amount of trub loss from the powdered cocoa, which resulted in too much priming sugar for the amount of beer that ended up in the bottling bucket.

I definitely noticed that the head dissipated fairly quickly on that one. I'm guessing it all came out of solution during the pour, which meant that wasn't enough to replenish the head.

Latest posts

Back