What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That bottle in the picture is a 3L, so 4 bottles of .750ml

I’m surprised you find it cheaper by the .750ml bottle elsewhere, Costco always has cheaper prices than anyone else.

I guess you pay a premium for the large format bottle. 4 bottles at my Wegmans @ $12.99 will run ~$52.

A present from a friend (who I think was too scared to try it). A Goose Island Bourbon aged Stout. This one is about 17 months old (supposed to last up to 5 years), so I'm drinking it before its prime. But at 15.2% alcohol by volume, it is stronger than most of the red wines I've made. I thought a Flying Dog Imperial Pale Ale at 8.5% was strong, oh baby, this one has a kick. The bourbon barrel aging matches up pretty good with this stout, definite chocolate notes. I'll have to sip it because my wife is staying up for a few hours to study and I think if I downed this like I do other beers I might be in for a quick ending to the evening. Very good! Now how to replicate it....

11-13-20_goose-island-stout.jpg

Damn, I hope I can finish this without getting into a stupor. I figure a pint is about a half bottle of wine, ut oh...but it is so darn good. Better than a 15 year old Thomas Hardy ale I had a few year back, and I loved that beer.

Edit: oh no, my wife likes it. After she had two sips I left the room saying "you need to keep studying...it's all mine!".

Last edited:
Damn, I hope I can finish this without getting into a stupor. I figure a pint is about a half bottle of wine, ut oh...but it is so darn good.

Yeah, that is the problem with high-gravity beers. I have gotten (inadvertently) totally wrecked on ~10-11% beer. "Yeah, doesn't seem so bad, it's less than wine..." But then again, I don't pour wine into 16 oz. glasses and then refill it frequently! :) :sp

Yeah, that is the problem with high-gravity beers. I have gotten (inadvertently) totally wrecked on ~10-11% beer. "Yeah, doesn't seem so bad, it's less than wine..." But then again, I don't pour wine into 16 oz. glasses and then refill it frequently! :) :sp
Yeah, I finally poured a small glass for my wife (half of one the size they give you when you go to a beer tasting event, I'm thinking Stouts in Lancaster County) because she kept coming out for "sips". I'm definitely going to sleep well tonight, having issues typing this reply. Guess that's why they have spell guess...

I did finish the pint, guess my Welsh heritage helped a bit.

It was very good, best beer, if you can call it that, that I've ever enjoyed.

A present from a friend (who I think was too scared to try it). A Goose Island Bourbon aged Stout. This one is about 17 months old (supposed to last up to 5 years), so I'm drinking it before its prime. But at 15.2% alcohol by volume, it is stronger than most of the red wines I've made. I thought a Flying Dog Imperial Pale Ale at 8.5% was strong, oh baby, this one has a kick. The bourbon barrel aging matches up pretty good with this stout, definite chocolate notes. I'll have to sip it because my wife is staying up for a few hours to study and I think if I downed this like I do other beers I might be in for a quick ending to the evening. Very good! Now how to replicate it....

View attachment 68235

Damn, I hope I can finish this without getting into a stupor. I figure a pint is about a half bottle of wine, ut oh...but it is so darn good. Better than a 15 year old Thomas Hardy ale I had a few year back, and I loved that beer.

Edit: oh no, my wife likes it. After she had two sips I left the room saying "you need to keep studying...it's all mine!".

Well, you just inspired me. I bought some World Wide Stout back in 2016 or 2017 and have only tried one out of the 4-pack. Perhaps today is the day that changes.

30F8336E-A4E6-42AC-B305-DC2F5C94BBD4.jpeg

The local brewery I mentioned previously makes a Tripel (9%) and an Imperial Tripel (15%). A visiting nephew drank one of each, then decided to get up. He immediately sat back down, looked at me, and said, "Dang! Those a LOT stronger than I'm used to. You're weren't kidding!"

One of those situations where I wish I had video to memorialize it.

Latest posts

Back