What's for Dinner?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just noticed I got "overcharged" LOL Was supposed to be $4.99/lb according to the sale circular. Should get back ~$10 tomorrow!
Even better! I've been hankering to try one of those roasts, just couldn't fit it in while the oldest is here at home for the holidays. Definitely need his appetite to justify a large roast like that.

Got the turkey on a little early. Glad I did, had to put the bullet condom on the WSM to get the temp up over 300*F. Just noticed it is just south of that right now, gotta go up and see what the winds are doing. I have it close to the garage and noticed the smoke when lighting up the charcoal was coming back into the garage, so I think I have it in a "wind eddy" of sorts. Here's an early shot of tonights' dinner.

12-25-18_turkey-1.jpg

12-25-18_turkey-2.jpg

Finished product. Breast meat hit between 158*F and 165*F, very moist and juicy!

12-25-18_turkey-3.jpg

Last edited:
First use of the cast iron pan, easy and quick way to grill inside, but man too much smoke...!!!
My stove extractor doesn’t go outside, just circulates air so you can imagine ...lol

"Last supper" on my oldest boy's two week hiatus back home, he requested some ribs. Had to move the kettle grill up onto the porch as the rain back filled in after I thought it was over. One was just salt, pepper and paprika, the other added a Stubs Dr Pepper bbq sauce during the last 30 minutes. Both very delicious (even my finicky daughter loved them), only enough left for maybe my lunch if I'm not too hungry. Family minus me are up playing Monopoly on the new PS4 (I think that is what it is). Other new toy is my son's new computer downloading some Steam games to see if the video card is to his liking, thereby slowing down my surfing experience on this site (only hi-speed DSL around these parts). Hoping my sausage making attachments show up next Monday so I can make some snasages New Years Day.

12-28-18_ribs-1.jpg

12-28-18_ribs-2.jpg

Pretty good price for Prime. My local Smith's (Kroger) had New York Strip Roast (Choice) on sale before Xmas for $3.99/lb. I think the Prime from Costco is way better in quality (marbling) and would definitely warrant the extra cash for a nice New Years eve celebration.

Beef Loin New York Steak vs Ribeye?

Ribeye is supposed to have better marbling but I will stop by at Costco today how the marbling on this New York Steak is.

Last edited:
I personally like the ribeye over the NYS. Better flavor and more tender. Also more $$$. NYS seems to get tough fast if over cooked.

I'm a fan of those Prime NY Strips from Costco. At ten bucks/lb, its a great deal. Yeah, ribeye is 'the king', but lately, I prefer the strip steaks. Agree with Mike that they can get tough - but I haven't had that issue w/ the Costco Primes, especially if I sous vide them.

I personally like the ribeye over the NYS. Better flavor and more tender. Also more $$$. NYS seems to get tough fast if over cooked.

I give my NYS a 1” - 1.5” cut and 3 min on each side over high flames on the bbq... usually comes out perfect. Got another in the freezer ready to cut.

This was also on our Christmas Day menu:

IMG_5735.JPG

6/8 size tiger shimp in a marinade of ginger, garlic and sesame oil (had olive oil, salt and pepper, too). A few min on either side on the grill. Awesome.

Back