testing started on 25 gallons of 1 gallon batches.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesngalveston

Reaction score
If anyone interested...I hate sediment.
I , are should say 6 friends and one associate accountant to log everything made 25 gallons of blackberry wine 3 lbs of berries per.

We made the exact recipe and used the exact same ingredients in every one.
We have covered each vessel with muslin to let sit 24 hours.
We will then add the same wine yeast.
12 pitched
12 yeast mixed to directions.
1 bread yeast mixed to directions.

So far we have a large centrifuge,a liquid nitrogen tank, a zero something are other some electrical things, and some things I have no clue what they are.
and six people speaking the English language that is above me.

I insulated my tool garage and added a a/c unit to keep it cool.
Even if the test do not pan out, i have nice wine storage.

misguided: yes
foolish: yes
but what if:::::::::::

Lol, alright, I'll bite! WTH is "12 yeast mixed together" mean? And 3 lbs of berries per gallon is not enough berries, sorry to have to tell you.

each batch will have one packet of yeast mixed per directions.
recipe was from jack kellers
Light Bodied Sweet

besides, i do intend on drinking it. just testing it.

i don not intend on drinking it...sorry for mistake.
dralarms..ill post some pics for you when we get to that stage.

75# of berries and not drinking it? Saving to blend? Wasting it?? Cringe, double cringe. To me the experiment to determine a one-step sediment removal process would mean nothing if the final product was not worthy of consumption.
Just my thought on the matter.

I have no idea what we will subject it too. I guess if its drinkable, it will be consumed.
Thanks for reply

I am really curious about the nature of your experiment. What in fact are you trying to determine and why would you use 25 carboys? Do you have 25 different tests? and if you have 25 different tests why are you using bread yeast in one of the 25 carboys - any test on that carboy won't provide you with any information about the others since the others all (seem) to have one kind of a different yeast. In other words, are you certain that you are in fact controlling for all the variables that you are setting up?

one of our packets of yeast was opened...the only other we had was flishmens yeast.
we hope to have 25 test
guy made a deal on 25 one gallon glass jugs.
our goal...zero sediment after racking first time, are something like it.

I hope if it works you have a huge BBQ and drink it at the end(if it is still good).

Well then you can't draw any conclusions from that gallon if it used a different yeast. If you are testing methods of removing sediment, you have to control for all of the other factors and one of those is the type of yeast. Why not just make a starter and split it up? Yeast have this remarkable ability to multiply. :D

I second what Bernard as said. It would help us if you could state your experimental question and describe your methods in detail.

No disrespect intended...I'm all for experimentation. But it sounds to me as if you are wasting 75# of blackberries on an experiment that won't tell you or us anything.

You seem to be obsessed with sediment. OK, but for me I really don't give a rip how much sediment there is or how often I have to rack. My end goal is to make good wine. I'll make whatever efforts is takes to do so. On the other hand if you find a method that produces good wine then I am all ears. But from where I stand it just sounds like you are trying to find an easy way through the wine making process. And that is fine, but if affects the end product in a negative way then, so what? Please don't let me dissuade you from what you are doing, but as others have posted I am unclear what your end goal is.

LOL, nope!

I do hope that you post back and describe the experiment. I struggle with sediment, too. The sediment in some of them (persimmon) takes up half the carboy the first time through. However folks have been doing this for 100's (1000's?) of years, folks smarter than me, so I figure if there really was a better way, one that yielded the same results, they would have found it by now.

You know there may not be a better way then what time has aged, for sure. For a 1000 years, they have dealt with the sediment. And it has worked out for millions of bottles of wine....
I just get determined.
At 14 I said I would retire at 30..I did not..I retired at 24.
If I would not have acres and acres and acres of blackberries, I would not have made my first gallon of wine.
But now......jeez ..I cant quit
And if I do not have to look at that crap on the bottoms of the carboys..
then the better off (I) am.

Michael Pollan's book , Cooked, has a section on fermentation (mostly about beer) but he talks about the archaeological images we have from the Sumerians drinking fermented liquids (mead or beer, probably) through straws because of the particles and gook that floated on the surface. Sediment has been present throughout all of human experience with fermentation. The issue seems to be that our sensibility today is that we want our wines to be clear and sediment free. The problem is that wine is a living thing and as a living process there is transformation over time and that transformation results in microscopic particles of protein, yeast and other substances flocculating and so becoming large enough to be visible to the eye and heavy enough to drop out as sediment.Sediment is neither bad nor good. It's the nature of the beast. But that said, have you thought about using a centrifuge to force the sediment out? (I say that half tongue in cheek because the forces involved would probably need to be industrial sized to allow you to SAFELY spin even a one gallon carboy several thousand times a minute ).

Last edited:
yes. we have a large centrifuge on site.
courtesy of some smart lab workers i know.
I surely do understand the relationship of sediment (must) to wine making as a whole.
100 years ago no one knew about degassing. today it is a common practice in vineyards, etc.
The old proverb, things are better with time..may hold true.
But if we dont try to obtain the same result with fewer amounts of time then we are not going forward.
We are stalemated.
Just my O.

I guess I'm confused. You have 12 pitched and 12 mixed per directions. So you are repeating the same experiment 12 times for each condition? That seems like overkill. What is the endpoint? What are you looking for? Yeast and fruit will produce solids that have to drop out as sediment. I guess I don't know what your variables are and what you are actually looking for in outcome (your hypothesis).

Latest posts

Back