raspberry port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryangws

Reaction score
i have done a few kits now, and i decided to try a fruit wine so i got raspberry vinters harvest.

my question is can i make it a port? if so how?

thanks

Welcome Ryan, These VH cans produce a very good fruit wine. It will be a little weak IMO for a port though as you typically use more fruit when making a port. What you may want to do is ferment this to dry and then fortify it with a brandy or other spirit like grain alc and sweeten it back also with something like a raspberry syrup or make a fruit pack sweetener by getting some fresh or frozen raspberries and simmer them down in a little water or juice so as not to dilute it and then squeeze the fruit to extract all the juice out and add it to the wine. I would use the 3 gallon recipe on the can to keep it full bodied.

yes, i am planning on doing the 3 gal recipe.

at what stage would i add the brandy, fruit pack sweetener? after fermenting?

would it be good to add more fruit in the begining or more sugar?

You will want to add the fortifier when you have finished fermenting so as to get all the abv you can from it. You can also chaptalize(the act of adding small amounts of sugar during fermentation to achieve more abv). The reason this is done is because if you were to dump all this sugar in from the beginning you would shock the yeast to much and cause the yeast to not ferment. as for the sweetener you would do this after stabilizing your wine with m-meta and then sorbate. As far as adding more fruit I think it would be a good idea since you are trying to achieve a high abv on this, maybe go with an sg of 1.125 and add small amount of sugar at around 1.025(around 1lb of sugar) if it makes it down to 1.015 then maybe add another 1/2 lb of sugar. If it ends up a little sweet thats fine as this is a port and should be sweet. You probably will still want to do the fruit f-pac after anyways to add more flavor to hide the abv you are trying to achieve, Any idea what abv you are shooting for?

ryangws said:
i have done a few kits now, and i decided to try a fruit wine so i got raspberry vinters harvest.

my question is can i make it a port? if so how?

thanks

I never made Port with a raspberry vinters harvest. I always use the berries itself 15 Lbs for 3 gal. So far a made 3 raspberry port and one won a silver medal. Because raspberry tend to overpower a usually use 2 cups (for 3 gal) grape juice to add complexity. What I actually do is use a cabernet sauvignon kit for the grape juice. I fortify the port with a grain alc after fermentation, chaptalize method tend to lose the fruit flavour.<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

You can also add oak and a piece vanilla bean for complexity.

Finishing SG: 1.020
Alcohol: about 19 %

Good Luck

what is extracted from the banana to give the viscosity your talking about ,i,ve never did but think i might try just as and experiment

joeswine said:
what is extracted from the banana to give the viscosity your talking about ,i,ve never did but think i might try just as and experiment

Sorry for the delay I was away

You need to use very ripe bananas put them in the freezer it will help. I don't know what it is extracted from the bananas, but it will give more body and it will not add bananas task to your wine

the only item i could think of is the a sugar protein or starch ,starch is a thickener,,anyone else have and idea?

Latest posts

Back