Congratulations to George!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimCook

Reaction score
George,

Congratulations on your four medals from the 2008 Winemaker Magazine Amatuer Wine Contest!
smiley32.gif

- Jim

<a href="http://www.winemakermag.com/feature/2008results.pdf" target="_blank">
http://www.winemakermag.com/feature/2008results.pdf</A>

- Jim

Congratulations George on getting several medals. Maybe Mosti will start getting more attention and there will be even more winners, especially as all your kits we have made get another year of age on them. I counted 17 Mosti winners!

Did you ever get any entered in Jim?

Appleman,

Yes - I entered my first three wines, which were just hitting the 1-year mark when they would have been judged. I didn't get any medals this time around, which makes me excitedly curious to see what information the tasting notes have on them when they come back. I enjoy the wines that I made and will hopefully be able to use that info to make them better.

I also noticed that many of the kit medal winners had 2006 or earlier wine that was presented, so I echo your comment about more winners with more age.

- Jim

I noticed that also Jim about the 2006 and some even older. George got medals on 2007 vintages! I bet they would be spectacular and all get Gold next year if he can save any!

Good luck to you next year. I would hold some and re-enter them next year- unless the notes come back extremely negatively(which you know won't happen).

Hard to follow that article. I only see 1 medal for the Mead but Congrats!

Thank you all. It was really nice to see my name in print. John Wood also got 3 medals, but not sure who else entered under our name. We did wind up with 21 points and placed 6th among the U.S. retailers.

I, too, noticed that the majority of the winners were 2006 or older, so I will definitely start holding some 2006 for entry next year. Everyone, start saving your wines.

George,

If John is a member of the forum, I'd be curious to see if he did anything special to his 2006 WE Argentine Malbec or if age helped it that much.

When you get your tasting notes back, can you let us know how your kit submission judging notes compare to the notes that you have in your database?

- Jim

I entered - but they must have missed or lost my entry!!! gosh darn!!!

Be glad to see their notes when I receive them or maybe not. hummmm!!
we'll see.

CONGRATULATIONS GEORGE AND TO ALL OF THE WINNERS.

rrawhide

The PWP would like to extend her congratulations to Sir George for a job well done!
smiley32.gif

Way to go, George!!

Way to go George!

I thought about entering a 2006 MUscadine I have, but procrastinated. Now I see they had no entries in the Native American category!!

Waldo, are you listening?

George - if someone purchases goods from you but makes a wine from a Native American grape, for example, and lists The Winemaker's Toystore as the vendor, is that a legal entry for your store?
I personally think it would be a small effort for each of us to present some wine for medals to support George. A 'Retailer of the Year' award would be a nice way for all of us to say thank you to a great guy, in my humble opinion.

- Jim

Wade,

What's the statistical count of kits with grape packs that medalled vs. non-grape packs?

By the way - look at the kit from 2001 that gold-medalled in the Pinot Noir category! It appears to be the oldest kit on the list, with two 2002 kits as well. Nothing wrong with longevity, eh?

- Jim

Jim, too many to try and count but it looks like a lot of the RJ Spagnols Winery Series and Cellar Craft kits and the W.E. Crushendos.

George- Did you only enter Mosti Mondiale kits or did those just happen to be your best ones? Congrats on the medals!

First, any wines entered count for my total. There are lots of categories for non-vinifera wines.

I entered 14 Mosti's and 1 Winexpert. I knew they were all young, but what I really wanted was the tasting notes. The medals were a very pleasant surprise.

Back