Mexican v. Italian carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cimbaliw

8 year veteran
Reaction score
I was racking down 4 batches of wine yesterday. Specifically from 23L Italian to 23L Mexican carboys and found that after leaving the lees behind there is a little over 375ml difference between the two types of jugs. Whether good calculations or dumb luck, I left the wine room with four full Mexican carboys, a full 750ml bottle and an ounce of overage as a taste. Hope someone else finds this information helpful.

BC

Never heard of a Mexican carboy. All of the ones I've ever seen are Italian glass.

Glass is made all over the world. I have some Italian, Mexican, Venezuelan, USA even!!! Let me add that the jugs were made there but cannot declare positively that they are specifically wine carboys...

Last edited:
there is a little over 375ml difference between the two types of jugs.
There is about 1/2 gallon difference between the largest and smallest. I save the largest one for racking. I rack in to the temp carboy, clean the old one, and then rack back.

All of the ones I've ever seen are Italian glass.

I have a French carboy.

I would advise avoiding carboys from China. I inadvertently acquired one and it's not even close to the same quality as the Italian carboys that make up the rest of my collection.

I was surprised when I asked morewine/morebeer that the carboys the sell are from China. Didn't order after that information.

I was surprised when I asked morewine/morebeer that the carboys the sell are from China. Didn't order after that information.

That's where I inadvertently acquired my only Chinese carboy. I was very surprised to receive something of such low quality from them. Everything else I've purchased from them has been decent quality.

Of all the carboys that I have presently, none were purchased from a wine maker supplier. I currently have about 20 to 25 carboys, including 5- and 6-gallon types, both plastic and glass. All of these were purchased through Craig's list. Last spring, when I thought I was getting out of the hobby (silly me!), I sold more than 40 carboys of all sizes, 3-gallon, 5-gallon, 6-gallon and 6.5-gallon and I would guess that I bought no more than 5 of them from dealers. My point is, keep an eye on Craig's list, garage sales, yard sales, etc. You will find excellent material for a fraction of the cost. For example, a few months back I bought 2 each 6-gallon glass and 2 each 5-gallon glass for $40. They were dirty and needed a good cleaning, but that was no problem and they cleaned up like new.

Last edited:
Here is an update on what I was referencing in the above posting. I saw this ad in our local Craig's List:

Well-overdue Garage Sale! - garage & moving sales - yard estate sale (craigslist.org)

If you look at the ad, you will see 2 each 6-gallon carboys among other wine making items. Unfortunately for me, I got there too late for the carboys (they sold for $10 each!), but I did get all in the picture for $20, no negotiation and I am sure I could have paid less. The box contains 24 bags of assorted oak chips and powders. The Vinator is missing the pump, but I only wanted the drying tree, the Auto Siphon was new in a plastic bag, the carboy brush was new, the stirring paddle just needed a cleaning as did the floor corker, which works better than the one I have.
100_1882.JPG

Keep your eye on garage sales!

Last edited:
Craigslist is super if people in your area use it. Some areas of the country are a little behind.
Anyway I got 9 car boys (3, 5 and 6 gallon) for $100. With another post I got two 600 L variable stainless tanks (Marchisio), a crusher de stemer and stand, a bladder press, more carboys,9 cases of bottles, a two barrel rack and two 60 gallon barrels (probably can’t reuse the barrels) bottle washers, bottle racks, three wire wine racks, spoons, paddles, a pump, hoses and more -$2500.

That's where I inadvertently acquired my only Chinese carboy. I was very surprised to receive something of such low quality from them. Everything else I've purchased from them has been decent quality.

I see that the comments about Chinese carboys are 5 years old, but @Brian55 what's wrong with them? Has your inadvertent purchase been as disappointing as you thought back then?

I bought 2x 3 gal and 2x 5 gal carboys from Morewine last year. They came well packed, i have used them successfully and as far as I can tell they are free of defects. I recently acquired 9 more carboys (5 and 6.5gal), and although I am not sure of their provenance (I got them second hand) I don't see an obvious difference in quality.

Chinese carboys can be a real health hazard as all of them made there are not lead and cadmium free and when you store acidic liquids in them you are asking for real trouble.

Here is a link to vendors in China selling carboys, some for beer and wine fermentation others are not. But they use the exact same molds so you can't tell them apart.

If I was not sure where the Chinese carboy came from and what it was imported for I definitely wouldn't use it for anything other than a biggy bank. Chinese products are often forged, meaning they will say it's safe or a certain grade but it isn't. Try buying certified steel from them, they will bait and switch you every time or they will fill a container with substandard on the bottom and good stuff on the top for inspectors. Remember the Chinese drywall issues? Chinese rebar is also a huge problem. I would probably never trust a Chinese made carboy, the lead and cadmium poisoning risks are way too high.

https://www.made-in-china.com/products-search/hot-china-products/Glass_Carboy.html
Here is a listing for a carboy for "decoration", Nothing says lead free. This is why Chinese carboys can be so suspect.

https://tftechglass.en.made-in-chin...lass-Carboy-Glass-Bottles-for-Decoration.html
If the factory has not been ISO 7086-1:2019 certified they do not have the certification for food safe glass. ☠

Last edited:
Chinese carboys can be a real health hazard as all of them made there are not lead and cadmium free and when you store acidic liquids in them you are asking for real trouble.

Do you mean 'not all of them are lead and cadmium free'? As written it suggests that all Chinese carboys are problematic.

The morewine description specifically states that they are lead free. ETA: They also note that they have tested and confirmed this.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back