Packlab Adding vanilla flavour to kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It all depends how far along your are ,you can add them in the secondary just like you would do two reasons remember were creating a sauce were layers of flavor and the oak tannin powder can be added at any stage usually it's in the secondary for me and sometimes even put it in a month before going to bottle depending on the textures I,M trying to achieve with the wine I'm developing.
Now here's what I think the plums will give you great texture and a nice background note , in conjunction with that the oak tan powder will add to the viscosity of the body . :uThese are just suggestions not set in concrete:ft to each his or her own.:u

Thanks for the suggestions Joe! I am just waiting on the plums to ripen a little more before I put them in, and then in a few weeks when I rack I will sample and add tanin... Are their different kinds of tannin out there? I only see the generic "wine tanin" at the LHBS...

ou8amaus

MAKE sure they are very ripe and juice taste one if it's sweet then they will be good if not do not use,once you established where're ok then remove the stones squeeze by hand and place them in with the wine, keep an eye on their fermentation it should restart ,only let these set in the sauce a week or two, then remove and let it settle out, rérack and clear, then put in the chems and clear again.:i

MAKE sure they are very ripe and juice taste one if it's sweet then they will be good if not do not use,once you established where're ok then remove the stones squeeze by hand and place them in with the wine, keep an eye on their fermentation it should restart ,only let these set in the sauce a week or two, then remove and let it settle out, rérack and clear, then put in the chems and clear again.:i

So I am finally clearing this kit, but I had a quick taste, could not resist! The 200g heavy American oak I added in the secondary was strong, adding some nice tannins, but not overpowering... Basically what I had hoped for. But the fruit profile, my god it was amazing! It is still really early in its life, and it only started as a lowly 7 liter kit... but my expectations of what this will become after a little aging have gone through the roof (keeping in perspective this is a 7 liter kit...). I will re-assess the tannins in a few months, but as for now all I have to say is thank you Joe, your advice was spot on!

Latest posts

Back