RJ Spagnols Deal or No Deal on Old Kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wctisue

Reaction score
On a previous post I asked whether I had made a good deal on two Winery Series kits AFTERI bought them. The date code was June 2007. I can buy the three kits below for $120 ($40/kit). All three kits are approximately the sameage. So do I go buy them or not?????

FYI -- I started one of the other kits with fresh yeast. Juice tasted OK but wasn't the normal dark purple. First kit is fermenting.

Wayne

“Cellar Classic Winery Series” California Cabernet Sauvignon Premium kit, comes with 5 ½ lbs of winery grapeskins and enough juice to make 6 gallons of wine.
I have one of these: “Cellar Classic Winery Series” Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Zinfandel Premium kit, comes with 5 ½ lbs of winery grapeskins and enough juice to make 6 gallons of wine.
one of these: Ken Ridge Showcase Ultra Prem. New Zealand Pinot Noir –Vineco

They are great kits BUT I cant say they are all good since they are old so you are taking the risk. Its a tough call as they all are excellent wines.

I know they are quality kits. Would YOU buy take the risk and buy them???

These kits are dated 2007? I would not buy them, but I'm cheap and want the warranty.
VC

I dont have money to waste so no I wouldnt, if you can spare that money then by al means go for it.

If they were coming from a cooler climate, like any northern state, then yes, for $40 per I'd pick them up. If they were coming from a warmer state, then no, I'd pass, unless the store was always kept at a constant temp of 70F or cooler.

I don't have money to waste either and the kits are at somebody's house not a store. I have no idea what temperature range the kits have been exposed to but the guy lives near downtown San Antonio so I doubt they were cool. Pretty tempting to buy kits at such a discount but your advice is to pass so NO DEAL!

Wayne

After talking to my friend in Austin todayhe wants to try a couple of these post-shelf life kits so I've changed my mind and will go buy them. I'll keep the Kenridge and ferment it.

Wayne

Latest posts

Back