Is this a bad....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac60

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 2 batches this year 40 gallons of Cab/Sangiovese and 60 gallons of Old Vine Zin 8 days into primary with skins the Cab is reading S.G of 1.000 the Old Vine Zin has been at 1.010 for the last 3 days... I was planning on Pressing tomorrow. The must temp on the Zins is 80 it did go as high as 90 a few days ago. Do you think this is a problem for me

A little concerned that the SG hasn't moved in three days. What was the starting SG?

Me too..
S.G Started at 1.100

A little on the high side, but not terrible. What yeast? You're only sitting around 12% ABV, so most yeast should be fine. Assume you're still doing punchdowns - is the cap reforming?

A little on the high side, but not terrible. What yeast? You're only sitting around 12% ABV, so most yeast should be fine. Assume you're still doing punchdowns - is the cap reforming?
Yes still punchdown the cap keeping the skins wet and yes the cap is still forming I use Lalvin Bourgovin RC212 yeast. The only thing i did different this year was use Fermix Yeast Nutrient
I was debating to wait to press but the Cab is just below 1.000 and tomorrow was the day I have available to press. I may have read the Hydrometer a bit optimistic 2 days ago. It just appears it moving to slow compared to last year and the Cab batch.

Last edited:
Wow. This is like a mirrored image for me. About 30 gal must. Sangiovese cab merlot blend. Starting SG 1.100. Used BM4x4. With goferm and ferm K.
Fermentation went fast and hot. Got to 85° I think. SG just stopped dropping about two days before my scheduled press day. Pitched on a Sunday. By Wednesday I was at 1.005. Friday it was at 1.000. Drove me nuts.
I still had to press on Saturday. I've got MLF goin so I'm letting it sit for that. Seems like there's a slim chance it'll drop anymore but who knows. Maybe I'll get lucky. It's still at 1.000-.999 ish another week later.
My plan was to let it finish MLF check all levels and go from there. Maybe we got the exact same grapes.
I would've definitely preferred to go all the way dry. And I figure there's no way any yeast starter would ever take off on a little bit of residual sugar left in there. So one idea I had is probably a longshot. I haven't looked into it yet, but thought maybe adding grain alcohol to boost ABV% might also give the wine a full dry taste.
I didn't adjust ph before AF. That's what I deduced this stemmed from for me. It was at 3.9 before yeast. And a TA of 7.25. But that's just my best guess

After re-reading I see you cab is not an issue. I thought that was also slow and sticking at about 1.000 but it still dropping. And the zin is still moving too? Hopefully with some coddling it continues to drop.
Still similar tho. 1.100 to 1.005 in 3 days. But I limped my way to
1.000 which sounds like the zin is doing now. Hopefully not, but If it does indeed stop short of dry, please share what you do.

My 2 cents: if the cap is still forming and the temperature still higher than the ambient, the fermentation is still going. S.G. may appear stuck because some tight berries releases sugar to the must as it goes?

My 2 cents: if the cap is still forming and the temperature still higher than the ambient, the fermentation is still going. S.G. may appear stuck because some tight berries releases sugar to the must as it goes?
Thanks berrycrush,
This morning the Zins were at 1.00 pressed today yielded 60 gallons from 792lbs of grapes. Cabs were at .99 yielded 45 gallons from 504 lbs of grapes

Back