Let's get Canning!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ugh, it's close to 2am. Wifey and I decided to make a quadruple batch of salsa tonight, thought we'd be done before 12. Still waiting for water to boil for doing the jar bath. Economies of scale we said. It won't take 4x as long as a single batch we said. Wrong. It does take almost 4x as long. So much peeling and chopping.

We also canned 12 jars of peaches.
Thats a 20qt pot of salsa in the pic.

Gonna be a rough morning. Still have a lot of stuff left, need to make more tomorrow.
Oh and she baked a whole lot of zucchini bread/muffins too.

20170822_014843.jpg

20170822_014227.jpg

20170821_210917.jpg

Last edited:
We (SWMBO) has decided to pass on canning tomatoes this year. :po

Dear Lord GreenEnvy22! that is a pile of salsa!

Did 2 batches of green beans and I had bought some roma tomatoes to make some bruschetta and naturally I bought way too big of a package, so I canned some stewed tomatoes. I might do some peaches but I think I am done for this year except for venison. I have enough tomato sauce, salsa, relish and sauerkraut from last year that I don't need to do any this year.

Oh, I did freeze some corn on the cob, going to try it next week and if it is tasty, then I will be buying some more corn to freeze.

I'm up to recipe #67 so far this year, and the tomatoes are just starting to ripen! I am actually getting all the paperwork in order to start up a little canning company on the side, so there is lots of experimenting going on at our place this year!

Favourite recipes to date: Plum Vanilla Butter, Strawberry Hot Sauce, Beyond Hot with Unstable Pineapple Tomatoes, and Cowboy Candy. My Tart Cherry Liqueur is killer this year too, and I'm excited to see how my Peach/Vanilla/Brown Sugar one will turn out.

The pic of the canning shelves was from a couple of weeks ago, and they're already at 100% before the tomatoes have come in, so we're swimming in food! Plus, I have around 60 jars of jam, soup, etc. in the freezer as well.

20645189_10155392511450056_6046067897322896639_o.jpg

20785762_10155412310540056_7987845163899418940_o.jpg

20900933_10155427514385056_3328288297976291248_o.jpg

Got access to about 120 lbs of concord grapes today, went and picked them in the morning. Then my wife and I made 17L of concord juice, 15 jars of Concord grape jam, 5 grape pie fillings.
I still have about 40 lbs left we haven't gone through yet. I may try making a small batch of concord wine tomorrow.

20170904_194705.jpg

The figs finally came in...

Made 10 jars of fig jam. Perfect with goat cheese!

We have 4 fig trees that are heavily laden with figs. Waiting for them to ripen so we can make some jam too. Down to our last jar right now.

Awesome fig appetizer: Stuff figs with goat cheese, wrap in bacon, bake.

Indulge me....

My favorite steak house is rather unique. Once you get a table, and are seated, there are buckets of pickled items for you to nosh on while waiting for the first round of drinks. There normally is a bucket of these wonderful dill pickles, a bucket of fresh sour kraut and green tomatoes, but best of all there is normally a bucket of pickled hot cherry peppers which are hot, but not too hot.

The customers at this steak house all really come for the some thing, their famous 24 ounce Delmonico steak. Each steak comes with a side of home fries and, most importantly, one of those same pickled cherry peppers.

I am in love with those peppers. You take a little cut of the pepper, then a cut of the steak on the same fork for an explosion of flavor. This is one of my most favorite things to eat.

Since I like to grill at home, I decided that I need to be able to can my own. Thanks to a past member here, I got a recipe that is a spot on match and have been canning them for several years now.

Each cookout, I bring out a jar. They are great with steak, but place on a burger (rip out the stem and seeds, and squash it flat) and you are in for a really big treat.

Two years ago, I had a group of nieces and nephews over for a cook out. I was sitting next to my littlest niece, Irena who is a tiny little thing that just turned 20. I saw her go to eat one of the peppers straight from the jar.

Before she could bite down on it, I warned her. I said "be careful, those are hot and I do not think a young gal like you could take it".

OK, Not the greatest way to issue a warning. Instead of heeding to what I said, she became determined to show me how tough she was.

As I looked her in the face, she ate the pepper. I continue to stare into her face and, to her credit, she offered no reaction to the pain she must have been experiencing. After about 30 second, I noticed a tear was running down her cheek.

Long story short, from that day forward, the peppers were called "Russian Tears" (my Niece is Russian).

Russian Tears are immensely popular in my family. The problem is that you need a full pound of those peppers for each jar and they are very hard to find.

Enter the farm stand across the street. They were able to get a whole box of them for me (about 15 pounds) all for $22.00!

Russian Tears for everybody!!!

Last night I did my first dozen jars..

IMG_20171010_060947977[1].jpg

I love pickled hot peppers, be it cherry,jalapeño,pepperichino(probably didn’t spell it right). I have canned Pickled jalapeños, green chilies, I have dehydrated Cayanne and habanero and ground them to powder. I have made homemade jalapeño poppers and froze them and have made homemade fresh chili Rellenos this year . I also made and Canned sweet onion and pepper relish that is wonderful poured over a block of cream cheese and served with crackers .

BOB

Back