Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Other Topics > Food, Pairing & Craft Foods > Best Charcuterie Resources for Beginners?

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #21
Mismost

Aug 2015
Liked 597 Times on 360 Posts
Likes Given: 406

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibglowin View Post
Yea, sausage is not supposed to be healthy, and your not supposed to eat it every day or even every week although my Grandfather lived to be 94 and ate bacon or sausage and eggs almost every day of his life. Oh and he also smoked cigars....

Thanks for the recipe! Simple is quite often the best way to go. Is "pink powder" curing salt?
Pink Powder is the curing salts and it is indeed very salty tasting.

I like to mix all my spices in wine and then add to the meat....and I have to batches because my motorized mixer only does 15# at a time. So I mix all the spices stir very well, and batch out the wine spice mix per number of batches....kind of a PITA. BUT....the wine really does help make sure the spices get thoughly mixed with the meat. While you do not actually taste the wine in the finish product, we feel it does add a depth to the flavors.

We mix long enough that the neat gets a "doughy look", kind of gummy. Then we pack into balls about the size of our grinder throat and re-cool....very cold, before stuffing. We stuff off of our grinder with a stuffing plate , big horn, and natural casings.

Honestly, if you don't just LOVE cooking.....just go BUY the kind of sausage you like.....100-150# batches will work your butt off and ruin a good 3 day week end! We enjoy the pain.

ibglowin Likes This 
Old 08-24-2017, 12:49 PM   #22
ibglowin
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2009
Liked 4801 Times on 2569 Posts
Likes Given: 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceeaton View Post
I like the name! And at 8-10 lbs of meat a minute.

LOL "That would be your partner in the chipper then"........

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this forum are strictly my own,
and should not be construed as the opinion or policy
of WineMakingTalk.com or its owners

"Killing grapes one cluster at a time since 2009" - Visit the Château!

People Like This 
Old 08-26-2017, 09:19 AM   #23
ibglowin
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2009

Not a "Carnivore" by any means but we had the Kitchenaide Mixer so why not use what you already have. I won't be making hundred pound batches but this looks sturdy enough to make 10-20lbs at a shot.
IMG_2514.jpg  

Disclaimer:

People Like This 
Old 08-26-2017, 11:53 AM   #24
Mismost

Aug 2015

my brother makes excellent small batches of sausage on his kitchenaid mixer...he likes mixing fruits with his sausage...like pork with peach and apple...uses odd meats like goat, rabbit, fish. He does some stuff I would never do, but he always seems to pull it off.

He is big on steaming his sausage...often with herbs in the water...then crisps the outside with a propane torch.

ibglowin Likes This 
Old 08-29-2017, 07:13 AM   #25
montanaWineGuy

Mar 2015
Liked 320 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibglowin View Post
Not a "Carnivore" by any means but we had the Kitchenaide Mixer so why not use what you already have. I won't be making hundred pound batches but this looks sturdy enough to make 10-20lbs at a shot.
Let us know how that works. I considered a Mixer attachment, but didn't think it would handle the volume of meats I do grind, over a year for many years.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:24 AM   #26
ibglowin
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2009

Now I am thinking one of these would be very handy.......

Disclaimer:

montanaWineGuy Likes This 
Old 08-29-2017, 08:13 AM   #27
Mismost

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaWineGuy View Post
Let us know how that works. I considered a Mixer attachment, but didn't think it would handle the volume of meats I do grind, over a year for many years.
Ours is a #32 grinder adapted to a gear reduction drive motor. It will coarse grind 150# of meat in about 45 minutes...it is a beast!

Same motor drives a Cableas meat mixer we adapted....that is SO NICE! My hands used to ache for days after mixing 150# of ice cold meat....and it it gets mixed better too!

Same grinder and motor with a stuffing plate and horn installed will stuff the casings faster than we can thread them on the horn. Still, a batch that big takes about three days of pretty solid work to grind, chill, season, chill, stuff, tie off, smoke, and vacuum bag and freeze. That's not counting any sausage you dry.

Fact is...we swore off any batch over 50 pounds...which we can get done in one long day. Too much work for us these days!

Old 08-29-2017, 10:59 AM   #28
montanaWineGuy

Mar 2015
Liked 320 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 187

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mismost View Post
Fact is...we swore off any batch over 50 pounds...which we can get done in one long day. Too much work for us these days!
20lbs batch is more then enough work for me. In pieces it is a good day's work over at least 2 days.

Cotton gloves with food grade plastic gloves goes a long way in keeping your hand from freezing during the mixing.

ibglowin -- those stuffers are essential. A mixer/grinder to do the same job needs a foot switch like you might use with a sewing machine. The stuffer is likely less expensive and made just for the task. Does it better, faster and easier.

ibglowin Likes This 
Old 08-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #29
Mismost

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaWineGuy View Post
20lbs batch is more then enough work for me. In pieces it is a good day's work over at least 2 days. yeah...grind, season, and ball up Friday after work, Stuff, tie, smoke, bag, and freezer pack Saturday. Nap all day Sunday!

Cotton gloves with food grade plastic gloves goes a long way in keeping your hand from freezing during the mixing. I use those neopreme waterproof gloves...still froze my hands....but we try to keep the meat just all most frozen.

ibglowin -- those stuffers are essential. A mixer/grinder to do the same job needs a foot switch like you might use with a sewing machine. After mixing we "ball" our meat...make balls big enough to drop into the throat of the grinder. Wife drops the meat in, I run the casings...you need to keep a little tension on them as they fill....too much they pop, too little you get skinny sausages. Wife also controls the power switch. Stuffing ground meat in a hog's guts for hours will either make or break a marriage! The stuffer is likely less expensive and made just for the task. Does it better, faster and easier.
It is work, But, we enjoy and laugh about it all year long when we eat our handicrafts. Last year homemade sausage, home brewed beer, and home made pretzels (mehhh I wasn't impressed but don't tell the red head1).

Old 08-29-2017, 03:19 PM   #30
ibglowin
WMT_MODERATOR.png

Jul 2009

OK all in I spose....... Go Big or Go home! This will arrive by Thursday!

Disclaimer:

People Like This