Fruit wine question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, this is perfect. I have a 3 gallon batch of apple wine in primary now! I'll give brown sugar, honey, and concentrate a try because the first batch I did just wasn't quite sweet enough ... but I drank it anyway.

Thanks!

Brown sugar, honey and concentrate won't make it sweeter than table sugar, it will give it a different taste, mouthfeel, etc., along with sweetening.

For your last batch, did you take an SG reading? If not, I would start doing so so you know where you like the "sweetness" of your wines. If you did, then bump it up some.

Ok, this is perfect. I have a 3 gallon batch of apple wine in primary now! I'll give brown sugar, honey, and concentrate a try because the first batch I did just wasn't quite sweet enough ... but I drank it anyway.

Thanks!

You can follow this link to an unsolicited "review" of my apple wine... http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=648207&postcount=648

I make my apple wine each fall from raw unprocessed a apple cider. The Cider Mill is located perhaps 4-5 miles from my abode.

Oh, don't know that this would make a difference taste wise but I back sweeten with the brown sugar and honey at stabilization and the frozen concentrate @ bottling.

Last edited:
Brown sugar, honey and concentrate won't make it sweeter than table sugar, it will give it a different taste, mouthfeel, etc., along with sweetening.

For your last batch, did you take an SG reading? If not, I would start doing so so you know where you like the "sweetness" of your wines. If you did, then bump it up some.

Great advice. I checked my notes (one gallon recipe): "Added 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup fresh apple juice, sorbate, campden. New SG 1.006. Pulled out a fruit fly."

I'll bump it up another couple of notches and see how the missus likes it! Hopefully no "extra protein" from a fruit fly this time ...

You can follow this link to an unsolicited "review" of my apple wine... http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=648207&postcount=648

I make my apple wine each fall from raw unprocessed a apple cider. The Cider Mill is located perhaps 4-5 miles from my abode.

Oh, don't know that this would make a difference taste wise but I back sweeten with the brown sugar and honey at stabilization and the frozen concentrate @ bottling.

Sounds like a plan I'll follow here in a couple of days!

Great advice. I checked my notes (one gallon recipe): "Added 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup fresh apple juice, sorbate, campden. New SG 1.006. Pulled out a fruit fly."

I'll bump it up another couple of notches and see how the missus likes it! Hopefully no "extra protein" from a fruit fly this time ...

Yep, I think if you push to say 1.010 - 1.014 she may be happier. It will be noticeably sweeter and probably fruitier too.

My wife is a sweet wine drinker and I usually make hers 1.014 - 1.018.

Latest posts

Back