Thinking of making a bordeaux style wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I hope to get 6 gallons of Merlot and 6 gallons of Cabernet Sauvignon this fall with the intention of making a bordeaux style wine. My understanding that bordeaux has more ingredients than just those two, most often cabernet franc. I am thinking of using all 6 gallons of CS and 4 gallons of merlot.

If I were to add some CF, it would have to be only about one, maybe two gallons. I may be able to get a quart of petit syrah concentrate to make 1 or 1 1/2 gallons.

I do enjoy commercial cs/merlot blends but I was thinking adding something else might make a big difference.

What is your opinion.

Thanks.

IMHO adding Cab Franc and Petit Syrah will make a big difference and add layers of flavor and aroma.....this combo is well worth your extra effort.

I don't know if you are concerned about authenticity, but Petit Sirah is not a Bordeaux varietal.

The "big five" are Cab Sauv, Merlot, Cab Franc, Petit Verdot, and Malbec. Carmenere is a minor player.

I don't know if you are concerned about authenticity, but Petit Sirah is not a Bordeaux varietal.

The "big five" are Cab Sauv, Merlot, Cab Franc, Petit Verdot, and Malbec. Carmenere is a minor player.

I understand that. Actually, what is available is Syrah. I just thought it might be a reasonable substitute. Should I not do that.

I am blending 6 gallons of cabernet Sauvignon, 4 gallons of merlot. Any suggestions on those amounts.

You will find there are Cab/Merlot blends all over the map because they work so well together. If your getting 6 and 4, then why not make a 60/40 blend and go with it. No waste, no muss, no fuss. Are these juice bucket are fresh grapes as the starting material?

No, no, I did not mean to suggest I thought it was a bad idea. I think that CMS (Cab, Merlot, Syrah) blends are lovely! I only piped up because you emphasized the Bordeaux style, and you called out Petit Sirah; I thought perhaps you were confusing it with Petit Verdot, which is the traditional minor component in Bordeaux.

I have no knowledge or experience with creating this blend (consuming, yes, creating, no!), but the commercial blends seem to hover around 40-50% each of Cab Sauv and Merlot, with the balance being Syrah. My personal opinion is that you are unlikely to go wrong with whatever percentages you choose! :dg

You will find there are Cab/Merlot blends all over the map because they work so well together. If your getting 6 and 4, then why not make a 60/40 blend and go with it. No waste, no muss, no fuss. Are these juice bucket are fresh grapes as the starting material?

They are juice and I will be getting six of both. I will use 4 gallons of the merlot with the blend and 6 of the cab. I will probably blend the merlot with some blackberry. '

thanks

No, no, I did not mean to suggest I thought it was a bad idea. I think that CMS (Cab, Merlot, Syrah) blends are lovely! I only piped up because you emphasized the Bordeaux style, and you called out Petit Sirah; I thought perhaps you were confusing it with Petit Verdot, which is the traditional minor component in Bordeaux.

I have no knowledge or experience with creating this blend (consuming, yes, creating, no!), but the commercial blends seem to hover around 40-50% each of Cab Sauv and Merlot, with the balance being Syrah. My personal opinion is that you are unlikely to go wrong with whatever percentages you choose! :dg

Why I said petit sirah is that I knew it was petit "something" I have since seen that home winery sells syrah concentrates and hopefully I will get a quart, maybe two, for the blend.

My Vote is 80 Cab, 20 Melot and then use all the rest of the merlot for other things including by itself. Its obviously all according to taste, but the 80/20 seems to allow the cabernet to dominate and the merlot to smooth things out. Best of luck.

On a blending tangent, I used 60% Malvasia Nero and 40% Sangiovese (topped off with Merlot) to emulate an old school Super Tuscan. It is wonderful.

Latest posts

Back