What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we were writing on the napkins at dinner tonight. I even phoned a friend to get her opinion and she was in Puerto Rico when I tracked her down.

Bill, you will find the best course of action for you. And don't forget, even if you make the "wrong" decision, it's better than making no decision. Further, no decision or situation is permanent. The one thing that you can rely on in life is that everything changes:)

Hokapsig, one point you need to consider is who you will be reporting to and what that person is like. I don't care how much money you make inthe world, it can never be enough when you have to walk on eggshells all day long.

Take the extra time right now to finish your classes and plan for your goal. When you're ready to start making the move you'll wish you had this extra time. On the other hand the extra money might help you attain the big goal. Bill, keep in mind, we helped most of the wineries in Pittsburgh get started.

Bill, years ago, I took a job as a data consultant in NYC, the money was unreal, but the guys in charge were jackasses, like Julie mentioned, we walked on eggshells. We absolutely hated dealing with them, the one guy, a supervisor, couldn't handle the fact that a few of us knew much more than him, so he made a point of being a hard *** to the point of it being absurd.
The hrs were long, I had to be up at 4:30 am, at the train station by 6:15 am, make a mad dash down 5th ave to get to the office by 8am, if I wasn't done with a client in time in the afternoon and missed my train, I wouldn't get home until after 7:30 pm...then come home, eat dinner (by myself at that hr) shower, and time for bed so I would be rested up to do it all over....

My point is, the money was great, but the quality of life sucked...stress all the time.
I was happiest the day I decided that enough was enough and told the supervisor that the next time he talked down to me, I was going to toss him out of the 6th floor window....lmao....

Bill, I work for a boss that thinks he is a couple of stages outside of his. You know the type. The ones that forgot where they came from and try to act like they are better than everyone else. Let me just tell you. I CAN'T STAND HIM!!!!!!!! I like my job and my co workers very much. (Well, most of them. LOL) He is my 5th boss in almost 8 years due to previous bosses getting promotions and the such. I've never had any issue with any boss that I have had in the past. I consider myself a hard worker and someone that people can come to to get things done. I actually pride myself on that fact. But, this guy makes me want to punch him in the face and then do as Tom suggests. He tries to make others look stupid to his bosses just to make himself look smart. He takes our ideas and suggestions and turns them in as his own. No amount of money can make up for an idiot overbearing boss. Your health and well being is just not worth sacrficing.

Bill, I work for a boss that thinks he is a couple of stages outside of his. You know the type. The ones that forgot where they came from and try to act like they are better than everyone else. Let me just tell you. I CAN'T STAND HIM!!!!!!!! I like my job and my co workers very much. (Well, most of them. LOL) He is my 5th boss in almost 8 years due to previous bosses getting promotions and the such. I've never had any issue with any boss that I have had in the past. I consider myself a hard worker and someone that people can come to to get things done. I actually pride myself on that fact. But, this guy makes me want to punch him in the face and then do as Tom suggests. He tries to make others look stupid to his bosses just to make himself look smart. He takes our ideas and suggestions and turns them in as his own. No amount of money can make up for an idiot overbearing boss. Your health and well being is just not worth sacrficing.

Wow did you hit that nail on the head. I have been dealing with someone like this for the last 4 years and I have had enough. I am now thinking of retiring in a year and a half, my goal was another 3 1/2 years but I never know from one day to the next what kind of mood my boss is in. Lately it has been very nice but I know it will not last.

Wow, after reading these posts I am really glad I am retired! Looking back, I had a great 40+ year career with some great bosses and some real horses' arses, and somehow I learned to work for either kind. My career was largely shaped by my first boss who was also the best boss I ever had. Forty-three years and four compaines later we are still friends. He taught me early on that "you know what" rolls down hill and bosses are subject to the same pressures from above. I decided it was my responsibility either to work with them or find another job. I owed that to myself, my family and the company that was paying me. The advantage of three years in the Army also served me well. Education and training were the keys to making oneself more valuable and useful to any company.

I completely agree that bosses have the same problem that their subordinates do with being at the bottom of the hill. But, not all bosses know how to handle it just like the regular employees. Being an outspoken, blunt person like I am, I have an extremely hard time not letting my current boss know just what I think. LOL Just like what happened today. We were having problems with a certain part of onr of our processes. He asked what I thought so I told him. He told me that I was wrong and couldn't really explain it to me in a way that I could understand and told me to call a couple of people. I called those people and they told me that I was correct in my thinking. I almost bit my tongue off holding my true thoughts back after that. How in the world am I supposed to listen to or even respect anything this lovely person says?!?!?!? Anywho. That is my rant for the day. LOL

Julie, I wish I was at that stage in my life that I could actually let my boss know how I truely feel knowing that they really couldn't do anything to me. Having that bargaining chip must be nice. Alot of my co workers have that little weapon in their pocket and get away with murder at work. It's both irritating and awe inspiring all at the same time. LOL

For me it is like a light at the end of a tunnel, I have not told anyone here that I am even thinking of retiring. The worst part for me is working in a school district as a manager, I am considered an "at will employee" and they can eliminate my position whenever they want.

One thing that I always keep in mind is, make the best of your day, don't let anyone get to you, just remember this is NOT my life just a way to my life and I'm not taking one of these azzholes here home with me!

Well cept my husband, he is the senior maintenance tech. LOL, which there are times we have some good laughs since I'm on the management side and he is the union president of his contract! :)

Well, my current boss is okay, but does not return calls or emails, but contacts me when he wants something. So he's pretty hands off and lets me do my thing. The new boss would be the plant manager with a dotted line to corporate. I'm leaning toward the new job as it would be working with former coworkers that appreciated my talents too. In retrospect, I should have never interviewed for the new job, but my ego wanted to be validated that I COULD get that job if I wanted to (quite childish of myself if you ask me)

Bill,
You have the opportunity to take it if you want to.
We all need to feel validated from time to time.
Have you thought about letting your current boss know? Maybe he will come back with a counter offer of more money, you get to kill 2 birds with one stone...more money and same freedom at work, but something tells me, once you let that cat outta the bag, things will inevitably change.

Tom, although I thought about that, that's not my style to play 2 ends against the middle. I did go to the new company and spoke with some of my former co workers (friends) which had worked with me and possibly put in a good word for me. It just felt right and I will start my new position at the end of February. They work an extra hour from Monday to thursday and only a half day on Friday. I can live with that work life balance.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and input. You have no idea how much they are appreciated.

Congrats Bill!

Nice to be able to choose between two jobs these days. Sounds like you thought this on through and are on the road to better things.

Now I have to go in and put in my resignation tomorrow. Why can't this be easy?

Thanks for all the kind words. Hopefully this gets me closer to my ultimate goal quicker, especially after kids are done with college (3 more years)....

Good Luck Bill, I took someone's resignation today that just blew my mind. She had to do what she had to do. And so do you.

Congrats Bill. Just think of all the free eveings you'll have to spend in the winery now. I know it couldn't have been an easy choice, but you made the choice that will be most beneficial for you and your family. The big question now is, "how's your wife going to handle having you around every evening?"

Latest posts

Back