What R you doing today?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you have access to amylase Tom?

You may need it if the carrot doesn't clear.

Allie

Yes I have that. Good for clearing starch haze in beer also. I may use it as I beleive in the 3 "P's". Not in a rush on this wine.
Good info though.
You know I am never in a rush to bottle. Sometime MAYBE this month I may bottle my Italian Amarone and Brunello juice from over 12 months ago.

I've had my order in for amylase for 3 months now Tom..

can't get any..

my swedes are all a bit woody now.. however I'm going to make 3 gallons this week anyway and pray for amylase at end of fermentation.

or I'll have to dump it all.

Allie

Here in the States you can find it in all homebrew stores. I paid .99 for 1oz.

Its just amazing what cant be bought in other places that we can get everyday so easily. Wine has been being made forever and most of these items have been used in the process along with many other things. I can understand some of the stuff but sulfites and enzymes you would think would be pretty easy to get anywhere.

Wade,

amylase has a limited shelf life of six months refrigerated.

my local HBS only buys it in on special or when more than one person specifically requests it.

Does anyone else here have a home remedy for starch haze that works?

without buying an enzyme? If it's a family secret.. pm me.. I can keep my mouth shut.

Allie

I just hope all can get K-Meta, Sorbate and Pectic Enzyme by the pound. I also buy at least 20 packets of a variety of wine yeast and clearing agents like SuperKleer and Isinglass.
Best to buy in bulk

I hear you there Wade, thinking about Chopin, he/she is in Albania, has access to the internet, but still has a hard time finding stuff. Even Blade in India. Took a while for him to find what he needed. Somethings like this, as small and insignifigant as it may be, makes me glad to be here in the US.

As you said, when it comes to our Int'l members, we almost take for granted they have the accessibility of things we take for granted.

Again, no offense to our Int'l friends, but I stood proudly on Wedensday, with my hat removed and my hand over my heart. I remebered and thanked those who served so we could have the availability of something that we take for granted such as chemicals to make a lil wine.

To some, even Americans, it may seem insignificant, but it is significant indeed.

Troy

Wade,

amylase has a limited shelf life of six months refrigerated.

my local HBS only buys it in on special or when more than one person specifically requests it.

Does anyone else here have a home remedy for starch haze that works?

without buying an enzyme? If it's a family secret.. pm me.. I can keep my mouth shut.

Allie

I have not heard that there is a shelf life on this or that it had to be refrigerated.

I knew it had to refridgerated and do but Ive had some well over 6 months and never had a problem.

I have not heard that there is a shelf life on this or that it had to be refrigerated.

can you check with your supplier Tom?

My supplier is a great lady and very helpful.. perhaps we can only get it as a liquid here?.. I have no idea..I have offered to pay the courier fee extra to get hold of it..and still no luck so far. Apparently it's a bit of a fragile chemical, I've been advised of the 6 month exp date twice now..Perhaps it's because we have a quite temperate climate?

Allie

i would personnally be happy to find ANY International member, no matter where they are, a place for supplies to brew their own! I mean that as a courtesy being a fellow wine/beer making obsessionist.

All they have to do is ask.

It would be my pleasure.

Troy

I get it (powder) from my LHBS. They get it from LD Carlson and no place on the label does it say keep refrigerated.

Still processing venison today. This is the "Day of the Cubed Steaks"...hehehe.
I was going to go talk to my plum wine, but Wade told me to put a t-shirt over the carboy, so it's hiding from me. I hope it's not getting lonely in there.:ib

Bottled 31 bottles of Rhubarb today. First time I have ever tasted rhubarb and it is very good! :try

Rhubarb02.jpg

DSCN1441.jpg

Last edited:
G, a horse "winnies" it doesn't WINE. Excellent Wolf looks great, put those in the cellar and start another. You think it tastes good now? Wait 6 months or so.

Sounds like you have a winner there, don't let impatience deter you!!!

Cheers at Ya.
Troy

Thanks, thats the best part about building a getting a good selection going right from the start. Get enough kits you can drink early in the beginning and you're not so tempted to drink the good stuff before its time.

Thats the ABSOLUTE correct way of thinking Wolf!!

So..whats next?
:br
Troy

Back