California Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjd

Wine Lover
Reaction score
I just received the price list for California grapes. I am so tempted, I've never done fresh grapes but I do have the press and a couple crushers and its killing me trying to talk myself out of it. How many lugs would I need to fill a couple 6 gallon carboys? 5 or 6 lugs? Dang, i wish i did not see that order form!

3 lugs for a 6 gallon carboy will give you plenty leftover for topping off etc down the road.

Go for it Phil! Give it a try! What do you have to lose?

Besides, you have the greatest panel of advisors right here (if you need them)!

I agree that a 36lb will yield 2.5 gallons (two lugs per 5 gal carboy).

I think i'm convinced. I think I will buy 5 lugs of Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. Now to clean up the crusher! One question, how much kmeta should I use at crush?
I am also going to buy my usual 10 to 12 buckets of juice. I will have something to compare the wine made from grapes with.

i would suggest that yyou, instead, go with 4 cab and 1 merlot. also always liked how a little merlot brings deeper color and body into the mix.

I just received the price list for California grapes. I am so tempted, I've never done fresh grapes but I do have the press and a couple crushers and its killing me trying to talk myself out of it. How many lugs would I need to fill a couple 6 gallon carboys? 5 or 6 lugs? Dang, i wish i did not see that order form!

I purchased 2 lugs, 36lbs, two years ago and it turn out great. It yielded 2.5 gals. I suggest buying 5 lugs for a 6 gal batch if you have a fermenter large enough or split it between two regular 6gal fermenters so as to allow enough head space for skins and stirring.

I purchased 2 lugs, 36lbs, two years ago and it turn out great. It yielded 2.5 gals. I suggest buying 5 lugs for a 6 gal batch if you have a fermenter large enough or split it between two regular 6gal fermenters so as to allow enough head space for skins and stirring.

Not sure where you bought your grapes from but normally a single lug is 36lbs.

Like others have posted 2 lugs will get you 5 gallons of finished wine and 3 lugs, (108lbs) will get you about 7 gallons of finished wine which is perfect for a 23L Vadai. You will have plenty to top off with.

Glowin,

Perhaps he is talking about Chilean grapes (that come in 1/2 lugs or 18 lbs per lug).

I second the above...

1 36lb lug will yield 2.5 gallons of must.

You want 2 lugs per 5 gallon carboy.

5 lugs will fill a 54 liter demijohn (approx. 14 gallons).

Trust us, this is what we get consistently!

Glowin,

Perhaps he is talking about Chilean grapes (that come in 1/2 lugs or 18 lbs per lug).

I second the above...

1 36lb lug will yield 2.5 gallons of must.

You want 2 lugs per 5 gallon carboy.

5 lugs will fill a 54 liter demijohn (approx. 14 gallons).

Trust us, this is what we get consistently!

Yes, I was talking about Chilean lugs. Sorry for the confusion. I forget CA lugs are larger. Math works out the same though.

Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement but I have decided to wait for another year to do all grapes. It is simply that I do not have the time. I did order 11 buckets of juice and I will be picking them up Saturday at Luva Bella. I ordered Petite Syrah, Zinfandel, Merlot, Shiraz and Cabernet Sauvignon. 2 buckets of each except one extra Merlot for topping.

If you can still get a lug or two of cabernet or syrah try adding the crushed grapes to one of your cab or syrah juice buckets. Might be a good experiment to show you the flavor enhancement and some of the hassles you can expect from all grapes.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back