disappointed in my apple yield.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Supporting Member
Reaction score
17.5 gallon bags of cored and cut up apples, started 11/23. Just transferred to secondary and only got about 5.5 gallons of wine. I thought forsure I'd get at least 7 or 8gallons. Am I over estimating what I should get?:slp

Yield for pressing apples is about 50-60% for normal people, big hydraulic presses get like 75-80% yield. Did you put in pectinase and at least crush them up a little? WVMJ

Actually cooked them down using steam juicer, put the scraps in the bucket for added flavor and color left for week and pressed of what I could.

I would say your yield is about right on for a no-water fruit recipe. You dun good by staying away from the water, too. Repeat after me: Quality bests quantity... :)

If you want more quantity, go to a GOOD grogery store and buy 100% juice cider (it will say Not From Concentrate) and add it to the must as an extender. Indian Summer is a popular brand here.

I freeze mine first then just use a standard crusher. Yes it takes alot of apples - especially if you do not want to add water. In about 6-9 months you will enjoy your hard work !!

I would say your yield is about right on for a no-water fruit recipe. You dun good by staying away from the water, too. Repeat after me: Quality bests quantity... :)

If you want more quantity, go to a GOOD grogery store and buy 100% juice cider (it will say Not From Concentrate) and add it to the must as an extender. Indian Summer is a popular brand here.

Not going to add anything, I want it to stay pure golden delicious.
I freeze mine first then just use a standard crusher. Yes it takes alot of apples - especially if you do not want to add water. In about 6-9 months you will enjoy your hard work !!

I froze mine too. I think for the next batch I may skip the steam juicer. Didnt seem to increase the yield on the apples.

whats the ratio of lees with the apples when used in this mode.
i would think that with apple, starting with 5.5 gallons, then after its racked a few times he will have like, 4 are 4.5..
i have made a wine from pure apples...what you say..how much after the lees are drawn off.

Plsain Golden Delicious is going to yield a fairly neutral tasting wine. Also that equates to around 2 bushels, which will yile 2.5-3 gallons per, so the yield is just about what is normal.

Plsain Golden Delicious is going to yield a fairly neutral tasting wine. Also that equates to around 2 bushels, which will yile 2.5-3 gallons per, so the yield is just about what is normal.

I disagree with your assumption that it's a netural (or bland)tasting wine. One of my first wines was a golden del. Wine and it was like biting into a golden del. apple.

And I hope this one tastes just as good for you. I make the assumption of it being plain because generally ciders and wine are made with a blend of apples to give more flavor. Golden Delicious alone is not extremely flavorful but it is certainly more flavor than Red Delicious. Keep in mind everyones tastes differ. The big test is if you like it, so if it is great for you, that is all that matters (and I truly mean it).

And I hope this one tastes just as good for you. I make the assumption of it being plain because generally ciders and wine are made with a blend of apples to give more flavor. Golden Delicious alone is not extremely flavorful but it is certainly more flavor than Red Delicious. Keep in mind everyones tastes differ. The big test is if you like it, so if it is great for you, that is all that matters (and I truly mean it).

So what you are saying is the apple wine I made from cider scraps is different since it has multiple types of apples.? That explains the flavor. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back