California Grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anybody else found that the numbers for this year's lodi grapes are really good? Great acid and above average brix....

I'm doing Amador grapes, but they were pretty good. Petite Syrah started at 1.100 SG after a 24 hour soak. Acid was not as good, but not terrible: pH 3.8 and TA 5.8g/L.

My Cab Sauv was perfect. My Merlot was a little low on pH and TA but dialed right in with a small acid addition. My Sangio was high Brix, perfect pH, a little high acid so got away with adding just some water and the TA dialed right in. Zin was something else. High Brix, high pH (4.00) and low acid. Added water and acid and got the pH down to 3.8 and TA was 7.5. Called it quits at that. Will check them down the road and make an adjustment again if needed. These are all from Lodi as well. Gonna be some killer Super Tuscan in about 2 years! :sm

Everything we've seen across the state has had great numbers this year, but yields were also extra high and only time will tell about the quality of the wine, that said:
Sonoma Coast Chardonnay B @ 24.5, pH @ 3.4, TA @.5
Clarksburg Chenin Blanc B @ 19.6, pH @ 3.32, TA @ .68
Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir B@ 24.o, pH @ 3.45, TA @ .58
Fresno County Merlot [email protected], pH @ 3.8 and TA @.4 --Needed a little acid bump but good for CV
Sonoma Valley Syrah: Still hanging... Was 24 a few days ago, probably within 9 days of picking.

Guys,

Thanks for the responses. My finding were in line with yours. It almost seems uncommon to have these kind of numbers. This year should be one for the books!

johnT.

You guys just made me spend another 50 bucks :) I have two lugs Cab Sav soaking, now I just put in another order of Zin after reading this thread.

This is my Regina Cab Sav number: Brix 22, PH 4.18 TA 2.37g/L Acid is a little low.

I have fresh juice from California this year (Merlot, 'Amarone', and Malbec); acid was extremely low on all three: .2% This is my first go a a fresh juice bucket, so wasn't sure how it would play out. I take it this is abnormal?

Back