Bottling Alternatives

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vacuumpumpman

Vendor
Sponsor
Reaction score

I have been making custom bungs for use in conjunction with the Allinonewinepump or a different vacuum pump to be able to transfer wine and any other liquid into their own container.

Some examples are the following –
Oak barrels
Essential oils – all different size bottles
Perfume – small sample bottles
Balsamic vinegar bottles
After shave lotion
Mason jars
PET bottles and much more

Please contact me for more details

Meaning that you can use the AIO to rack into a plastic PET container?

It is all depending on the container of course. I have made several for people already for different products.

If you are going to mention - better bottles = I would have to practice on them - but it would not be able to degass, because it would suck the walls in.

In this particular case I wouldn't care about degassing but racking into a Demi John and plastic better bottles would be convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

In this particular case I wouldn't care about degassing but racking into a Demi John and plastic better bottles would be convenient.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Some people I know - I have made a 1/2'' flex racking cane assembly in order to be used with demi jons and Kegs -
It keeps the vacuum lower and moves more volume. Also at certain intervals they would press on the vacuum release to remove any additional vacuum as the air space is being displaced with wine.

When you degass with the all in one pump do you pull a vacuum on the whole container? I thought you degassed by splash racking with it.

When you degass with the all in one pump do you pull a vacuum on the whole container? I thought you degassed by splash racking with it.

Yes the whole container is under a vacuum - while you are splash racking at the same time. You are only putting a vacuum on the vessel that you are going in -

I hope that helps ?

I understand that, but it's only under a small ammount of vacuum since the container your siphoning from is open to atmospheric pressure. The vacuum is caused by the rise in the fluid and possibly the pumps ability to draw quicker than the line can easiy flow. It's not as though you're capping the whole carboy and pulling 20 some inches on it.

Correct?

Last edited:
Hmm. I've got 3 better bottles I've not been using because I assumed the wine pump would suck the sides in and not work for racking. I was about to put these bottles on craiglist. Does anyone know if they will work or not? I guess I should just try some water.

thanks
steve

I need to try this experiment and come up with the use of vacuum with better bottles - once you reach 4 in of vacuum the bottle will collapse and push all the fluid into the Allinonewinepump and overflow the overflow container and ruin your pump -

Please let me try this and I will get back with everyone -

I dont have a Better Bottle - but I do have plastic 5 gallon water bottles ? Are they roughly the same ?

After this weekend I will need a couple of people who may want to test this out - any takers ?

The only way you are going to use a vacumm on a BB is to create a container that will hold the BB in it, allow the incoming tube to go into the BB and an exit hose to pull the vacumm. WVMJ

The only way you are going to use a vacumm on a BB is to create a container that will hold the BB in it, allow the incoming tube to go into the BB and an exit hose to pull the vacumm. WVMJ

Well I have made other products that are still working today after certain modifications that I had made in order to fill PET bottles.

My question - is a 5 gallon water bottle similar to a BB ??

I dont have any Better Bottles to test this theory on - I am not sure if there is even a need ??

VPM, if you put some hot water from the tap in a BB and close the top it will suck in the sides pretty good as it cools. I think compared to a WB the BB is actually flimsier. Design a vacum chamber to use with BB and you might have a good niche product, people would have little reason to have a glass carboy if they could just put their BB into your vacuum chamber, turn on the pump and and watch it degass without collapsing the BB. WVMJ

Hmm. I've got 3 better bottles I've not been using because I assumed the wine pump would suck the sides in and not work for racking.

I tried it once (I didn't have an extra carboy), and the BB walls collapsed. It did work. The primary was on a counter (higher) and the carboy on the floor. I let gravity do the rest.

Ok to try once, but I would not do it repeatedly. The flexing fatigues the wall and weakens it. Eventually, it will break.

Here is a solution to use plastic carboys for Secondary fermentation...

Purpose: Use AIO to start the siphon into the receiving carboy.

1) Normal tubing from the wine to the receiving Carboy.
2) Right before the neck to the carboy, put a T.
3) On each of the other sides of the T, put a valve.
4) Once side goes to the AIO, the other side goes to the receiving carboy.

Place wine on a counter, and the receiving carboy on the floor.
Close the valve to the receiving carboy, open the valve to the AIO.
Turn on the pump, and let it draw the wine into the tubing.
When the wine reaches the T, close the valve to the AIO, and open the valve to the carboy.
Turn off the pump, and let gravity do the rest.

Last edited:
Jack -
Thanks -that is what I did not know about the BB, that they are actually thinner than your standard water bottles.

Rich -
In my FAQ'S section - I mention this

How to incorporate a BB with the Allinone -
Over the years I have figured out how to incorporate the plastic BB carboys with the All In One. You can always pull from a BB or an open container – whether you are transferring, bottling or filtering – you do have to go into a glass container in order to withstand the vacuum pressure otherwise it will collapse. I have talked to many customers who have both types of carboys and this is what I recommend. Transfer from BB to glass to remove CO2 and sediment. The glass carboy should be higher than the BB for the next time you transfer; you can start a small vacuum, only to get the gravity to work for you and then turn off the pump. This way there is still no lifting heavy carboys !!

This seems to be the easiest so far -

Jack -
Thanks -that is what I did not know about the BB, that they are actually thinner than your standard water bottles.

Rich -
In my FAQ'S section - I mention this

How to incorporate a BB with the Allinone -
Over the years I have figured out how to incorporate the plastic BB carboys with the All In One. You can always pull from a BB or an open container – whether you are transferring, bottling or filtering – you do have to go into a glass container in order to withstand the vacuum pressure otherwise it will collapse. I have talked to many customers who have both types of carboys and this is what I recommend. Transfer from BB to glass to remove CO2 and sediment. The glass carboy should be higher than the BB for the next time you transfer; you can start a small vacuum, only to get the gravity to work for you and then turn off the pump. This way there is still no lifting heavy carboys !!

This seems to be the easiest so far -

Was going to try this since I have multiple kits going, but I realized I don't have a larger bung for the BB that supports the vacuum and the wine hose. Do you have one of those? I do have a siphon so maybe I'll just use that for the intermediate swap. I'm thinking of racking it, washing the glass and racking back immediately. Will help get rid of CO2 too. I have the same number of glass bottles as I do kits going right now, but I'm thinking of starting a skeeter pee too so that will mean something has to rest in the BB.

steve

Look at my website under the FAQs
It talks about how to use a BB with a glass carboy and vacuum.
I do make all sort of bungs And Hoke sizes - if interested please email me [email protected]

I know you prefer splash racking to degas the wine. Do you have a single hole bung to create a vacuum to degas the wine? Will the vacuum line fit into the bung hole for an airlock?

Last edited:
Rich, I am not Steve, but here is what I do. I use a single-hole bung that is quite a bit smaller than what you would want to use on a carboy. I don't recall the bung number; I got it at Northern Brewer, something like a #8?? I put that bung into the opening of a universal bung.

This combination works well and will not get sucked into the carboy. You can controllably vent it by lifting up on the inner bung, leaving the outer universal one in place.

Latest posts

Back