Honey/Mead Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAgreeneyes

Reaction score
I want to try to make only 1 gallon of honey wine. Is it possible? If so, does anyone have a recipe for only 1 gallon?

Or look up Joes ancient orange mead. The directions do not agree with all we say here, but follow them and it should come out fine for you. Mead takes a long time to finish, but it can be worth the wait. Arne.

LA, to rephrase Arne, most folks say mead has to age at least a year to be any good...FYI

Go check out this site. http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/mead-recipes.htm
I have one of his sweet mead recipes going. Also have made the JOAM, which is aging and have made a mead from my equipment kit recipe book.
Maybe it is the time issue, as none of mine are more than 4 months old, but I have yet to come up with one I really like. Maybe after letting them sit over a year will change that.
We have a local meadery that makes an unbelieveable mead. Very smooth. Wish I could get that recipe. :)

1 qt honey, 3 qt water, nutrient, yeast....

That sound easy enough. Thanks!

Or look up Joes ancient orange mead. The directions do not agree with all we say here, but follow them and it should come out fine for you. Mead takes a long time to finish, but it can be worth the wait. Arne.

I have read that it takes a long time.

LA, to rephrase Arne, most folks say mead has to age at least a year to be any good...FYI

It has to age at least a year!!????? I should have started this LAST year. lol

Go check out this site. http://www.stormthecastle.com/mead/mead-recipes.htm
I have one of his sweet mead recipes going. Also have made the JOAM, which is aging and have made a mead from my equipment kit recipe book.
Maybe it is the time issue, as none of mine are more than 4 months old, but I have yet to come up with one I really like. Maybe after letting them sit over a year will change that.
We have a local meadery that makes an unbelieveable mead. Very smooth. Wish I could get that recipe. :)

Thanks for the link.

Wineforfun,
try making a melomel, a mead with fruit, I make mine with the same triple berry fruit that I use for my Dragons blood, I've used wildflower honey, and I look forward to adding the Orange Blossom Honey that I recently acquired from Florida...Thanks Phil!
The berry Melomel is good at 2-4 months, great at 6 months, and I'm sure it will be outstanding at a yr, it wone a medal at the Missouri Valley Wine Society competition.

Pumpkinman is correct that most fruit meads will be good to drink much sooner than a basic honey/water mead. I can make a berry melomel and bottle in seven months start drinking in another two....it is how I make my raspberry melomel if pressed for time. Good stuff. I've been accumulating the organic juices as I catch them on sale so I can make this one using black currant, black cherry and blueberry...http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/pages/community/news/show?title=romance-by-the-glass
Though I am tempted to just order concentrates from homewinery.com

Last edited:
Wineforfun,
try making a melomel, a mead with fruit, I make mine with the same triple berry fruit that I use for my Dragons blood, I've used wildflower honey, and I look forward to adding the Orange Blossom Honey that I recently acquired from Florida...Thanks Phil!
The berry Melomel is good at 2-4 months, great at 6 months, and I'm sure it will be outstanding at a yr, it wone a medal at the Missouri Valley Wine Society competition.

Tom,
I did make the DB version with honey and you are correct, it is very good at the 2-4 month mark. I am trying to make a straight show-type mead and having troubles getting it like I want.
I still have 2 bottles of the DB melomel left that I am saving for that 1 yr. mark.

I cut the lemon out for the melomel and added a bunch more fruit, it got plenty of acidity from the fruit. One thing that I started to do soon after the first batch of Db went so fast....I adjusted the recipe for 8 gallons.

I stuck with just one bottle of lemon juice. I like the idea of using more fruit.

Good move on the 8 gallons.

Latest posts

Back