RJ Spagnols RJS Foaming Issues...Need help...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vintner

Junior
Reaction score
I just racked two RJS International series after 7 days in the primary into carboys for secondary. (Merlot and Cab. Sav.) The Specific gravity was 1.004 roughly on each. The instructions stated they must be under 1.020. So, all good, right. They were foaming pretty vigorously, but no more than other kits I have done. Last night I put on the airlock and went to bed. I got up this morning and the airlocks were filled with foam and it was actually coming out of the top of my plastic airlocks. My concern is what do I do to stop this? I had K-meta in the airlocks. Could any of that have been introduced to the wine? Should I refill the airlocks with water only this time in case it happens again? This is my 8th and 9th kits and have never seen this happen. Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks all! :slp

It happened once with one of my kits. In my case, I believe it was the sudden influx of Oxygen that caused the yeast to go into overdrive.

My advice would be to clean the airlock and put it back on the carboy.

This happens every once in a while. How much head space did you have in your secondary?
What I usually do is wait to top up my carboy till everything has settled down. The extra head space will not matter as the carboy is still fermenting and thus out gasing. Your foam would indicate that the flow was out of your carboy and not in. Clean and replace the airlock and you should be fine.

cheers

I just racked two RJS International series after 7 days in the primary into carboys for secondary. (Merlot and Cab. Sav.) The Specific gravity was 1.004 roughly on each. The instructions stated they must be under 1.020. So, all good, right. They were foaming pretty vigorously, but no more than other kits I have done. Last night I put on the airlock and went to bed. I got up this morning and the airlocks were filled with foam and it was actually coming out of the top of my plastic airlocks. My concern is what do I do to stop this? I had K-meta in the airlocks. Could any of that have been introduced to the wine? Should I refill the airlocks with water only this time in case it happens again? This is my 8th and 9th kits and have never seen this happen. Any advice is most appreciated. Thanks all! :slp
The pressure is going out not in so no worries about the k-metta in your wine. you should be over the hump now clean and refill your air lock repalce it. I would use vodka rather than k-metta.

Thanks all for your replies. There was about two fingers of headspace. I have replaced the airlocks and it seems to be calming down some. I will keep an eye on it today. I had heard some use vodka in the airlock. What is the advantage? Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!

Thanks all for your replies. There was about two fingers of headspace. I have replaced the airlocks and it seems to be calming down some. I will keep an eye on it today. I had heard some use vodka in the airlock. What is the advantage? Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!
If you get a suck back which does happen all you do is fortify your wine a little. K-metta looses strenth over time and this is when k-metta is subject to infection.Water and K-metta can get infections from bacteria this if sucked back can ruin your wine.

2 fingers headspace for secondary is not enough. A good full hand or more would work better.

Next time...

Filling the carboy all the way to the top during secondary is a little risky. Put some of the wine in a wine bottle with an air lock attached. Once fermentation is done, you can recombine.

UPDATE....

All is well now. Both have calmed down and are fermenting nicely. I have learned three things thanks to you all.

1) When racking from primary, introduce as little oxygen as possible to not put fermentation in overdrive.
2) Leave more headspace in the carboy during secondary.
3) Use vodka in the airlock in the event there are problems.

Thanks again for all of your advice!

Doug

1 and 3 are not lessons from this.

Oxygen HELPS yeast early on, and vodka is a waste of...well, vodka. Use k-meta water, you should have lots of it around anyhow.

Back