What do you think about this cabernet sauvignon?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chateau Joe

Snowbelt Fermenter
Reaction score
I started a pail of frozen must M&M cabernet sauvignon 24 days ago. Intitial SG was raised from1.088 to 1.110 with dextrose then added a 1/2 pound of raisins. Used EC 1118 yeast. I racked it at day 10 and again today at day 24. SG is now .996. I added 1/8t of k-meta and pitched some med. toast french chips also today.

Now this is my first pail of cabernet sauvignon from a juice pail. I have done one other cabernet sauvignon 8-10 years ago from a Vintners Reserve kit. Now to me, this wine looks really really thin. Almost white zin color. Before I call and complain I would like the opinion of others here. I realize its still a little cloudy but what are your thoughts?

attachment.php

Even allowing for it to clear more and brighten up, this is closer to a blush than a full bodied Cab. I would certainly ask about it with the supplier. It may turn out tasting fine, but it really does look like it will be very thin.

This was a frozen pail of must, just juice and no grapes in the must?

That would be the problem..just juice.. No skins contact. Joe... You need the skin contact to extract color, flavor etc. A grape pack or 9lbs of varietal grapes would have been perfect with this juice.

I agree with the fact that it looks light. I disagree with the problem being just juice. I purchase Juice Buckets every spring/fall and my Cab Sauv is a deep dark color. There were no skins fermented with it. I sould call the supplier and question this batch.

Something appears not right here for sure. I have never used juice buckets and don't know much about them. A few days ago I was on a juice bucket site and it said the buckets are 5 gal but they make 3 gal of wine. That sounded odd to me.

How much did you start with and did you top it up?

NS

Something appears not right here for sure. I have never used juice buckets and don't know much about them. A few days ago I was on a juice bucket site and it said the buckets are 5 gal but they make 3 gal of wine. That sounded odd to me.

How much did you start with and did you top it up?

NS

Started with 6 gallons. No topping up.

Thank you everyone for your help. I knew it was too light but I wanted a second opinion.

I just sent an email to M&M with a pic and let's see what they say.

Cheers to you,
Joe

Sometimes the water they run through the pail filler is not completely emptied before the first pail is placed under the filler. That is what it looks like.

Latest posts

Back