Campden tablets help!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Me and a friend of mine are fairly new at wine making and need help with using Campden tablets. We have a carboy filled with Gewuerztraminer juice and are ready to add the yeast, do we add the tablets now before we add the yeast? Do we let the juice and campden sit for 24 hrs before we add yeast? What is the ratio of Campden to juice? Do we add Campden at each racking? Help!!!

I would actually only use like 3 tablets to hold off wild yeast and then wait 24 hours if this is a 5 or 6 gallon batch.

Wade,

Is there a reason to not use the suggested 1 per gallon?

I'm asking because if I don't need to use 1 per gallon I won't.

What is the source of the juice? If you bought frozen, bucketed, wine kit, or bagged juice, it may already have sulfite in it. If it is fresh squeezed juice, you want to sulfite sooner rather than later.

dralarms said:
Its one tablet per gallon, and yes let it sit for 12 to 24 hrs before pitching yeast.

Can you just drop them in whole? Or should you crush them first. I suspect the alternative is to add kmeta?

Can you just drop them in whole? Or should you crush them first. I suspect the alternative is to add kmeta?

Do not add whole. Crush them completely. I would even add them to a few ounces of hot water to dissolve then add to your wine. Most of us prefer to use powdered meta, but still dissolve in water before adding.

Latest posts

Back