Yeast and high temps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kheld01

Junior
Reaction score
First of all, I just joined and this is my first question so please take it easy on me.

I recently moved cross country and was wondering if my packets of montrachet are still any good. They spent about three weeks in a storage unit with outside temps in the 90s-100s, so maybe 110-120 in the unit itself. The packets are unopened and expire in july of 2013.

I was about to make a batch of Apfelwein when I remembered about the move. Any thoughts?

That is pretty extreme for dry yeast.

If you are close to a LHBS - i would just go buy more - they are pretty inexpensive..

I agree, replace them and don't take a chance. And welcome to the forum.

I always start my yeast starters the day before, I you do that, if they start use them. If they don't. Nothing lost trying

I always start my yeast starters the day before, I you do that, if they start use them. If they don't. Nothing lost trying

I agree. A good thing about a starter is you don't have to wait up to 72 hours to find out if the yeast is viable or not. If it's viable, it will be obvious in 30 minutes. Waiting and wondering for three days would be hard for me.

Back