dandelion wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teaser

Reaction score
The field at the back of be is full of dandelion at the moment and I was itching to go and pick some and then hubby put me off by saying dandelion and dog pee wine!!!! :-(

The field at the back of be is full of dandelion at the moment and I was itching to go and pick some and then hubby put me off by saying dandelion and dog pee wine!!!! :-(

well, with the way the process goes for making dandelion wine, i guess you could say you'd be boiling the "pee" out of the dandelions.....roflmao...

Oh never thought of that might just have a go and not think about what he said as could go on forever dont pick the blackberrys and elderberry will be next as you dont know whats crawled on them lol im sure hubby is ocd!!!!!!

If it makes you feel any better, I have a dog that does her business in my backyard, and I got a full harvest of dandelions out of it to do a gallon of wine. Nature is nature. And it is part of the character of your final product. Commercial wineries don't pick bird poop off their grapes and I'm not rinsing dog mess of my dandelions!

I live in the outskirts of Rotterdam in the netherlands. Some 15 minutes riding on my bike are large dandelion fields.
That is were I pick mine. I am sure it is way to far for people walking the dog. So I am fairly sure mine are 'clean' .
Also make sure you pick them far from any exhaution fumes (highways etc) so no excess pollution lands in your wine.

BTW, here is my recipe:

http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2008/02/paardenbloemenwijn-dandelion-wine.html

Luc

Thanks for the recipie :) I have q large field at the back of the house covered in them and seeing as you can freeze them I might do a few batches thanx will update when I start :)

Wash 'em. Your post made me chuckle because dandelions (and dandelion wine) are natural diuretics. So the wine will make YOU pee, too! :D

Lol I know what everybody will be doing at Christmas at my house then!!!!

when you pick your flowers do you just use the yellow of the flower? or are you using the top yellow and the green that attaches it??

Use the yellow only and pick on sunny day when wide open. Happy pickin!

RE: yellow of dandelion

I found a recipe online that showed the photo of dandelion wine and it had the base of the yellow in it. Is this right or wrong?

This will be first time at dandelion just going to use petals. Been unable to pick any as its rained forvlast 3 days.

when you pick your flowers do you just use the yellow of the flower? or are you using the top yellow and the green that attaches it??

only use the yellow parts. If you put green parts in the wine might turn bitter.
A bit of green is not a thing to worry about though, it gives the wine a 'bite'. However I only use yellow parts.

Luc

Well ive started picking - its backbreaking and by the time.id finished and chopped the petals I had 73g and I need 450g!!!!! Will have to get the grandkids recruted. I have out them in the freezer for now (petals not the grandkids).

Still picking dandelions 48 grm to go!!!! I will get there eventually!!! In the mean time I have picked the rhubarb in garden and started a batch its fermenting nicely :)

Finally started a batch of dandelion today,currently steeping looks revolting lol

ForumRunner_20120511_140731.jpg

It has it's own smell too while steeping! Might want to use a strainer bag, much better when racking.

Enjoy

After boiling going to strain I have seen people use stockings but did not know wether to use or not. You are right about the smell too. Hope its going to taste better than it looks!

Dandelion strained and in fermenting bin added yeast and nutrient :) smelling a little better than it did steeping the color dark and still looks revolting lol

ForumRunner_20120513_160503.jpg

Back