Blind Wine Tasting - January

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimCook

Reaction score
I hosted my first blind wine tasting of 2010this past Saturday. The theme was Zinfandel/Petite Sirah in the $22-30 range. Five wines were tasted and eight people were in attendance.

The line up...

2006 Chateau Montelena Zinfandel (Napa)
2007 Old Ghost Zinfandel (Lodi)
2007 Ridge Paso Robles Zinfandel (Paso Robles)
2006 Girard Petite Sirah (Napa)
2007 Dashe Dry Creek Zinfandel (Sonoma)

The point winner for the evening was the Old Ghost Zinfandel which presented aromas of dark berries, cured meat and leather. It was quite high in alcohol (15.9%) compared to the others (all 14.5%). The Dashe Zin was quite tannic and the Ridge didn't open up for a while but showed well the next day. People leaned toward Napa and Lodi at the tasting.

Food included prime rib with a red wine sauce, twice baked potatoes, potatoes au gratin, baked mushrooms and sauteed zucchini.

- Jim

I wish I lived closer to you Jim! Between all that good wine and that great food it would be hard on anybody to stay in shape. I guess that's why you have to be a PT. Did you ever say if the new place has a gym or not?

Appleman,
Yes, it does. One of the requirements for findinga new house was a basement layout that would work for a studio. So, two thirds of the basement is one big open area that holds all the fitness equipment and the other 1/3 of the basement is used for wine making and storage. it ends up being about 850 square feet for fitness.

I don't cook like those particular meals every night... just most nights. :)

Biggest secret from a personal trainer who likes good food = eat slowly. Savor every bite. If what you're eating isn't that good, you won't be able to savor it (think fast food burgers, for instance). It also helps to give your fullness indicators time to let you know you are comfortable full instead of stuffed from overeating.

- Jim

Courious how the Montelena was scored? I have an '05 CM Zin in the Cellar and wondering if I should drink now or hold?

You didnt try to sneak in 1 of your wines just to see, I would do six next time and sneak in one of your own!

Mike - the Montelena (I thought of you every time I said the name of the wine at the event) was better today, so time helped it. Overall, it ranked
last in points, but I really believe that this was because it needed more time. Mila and I both picked it as our second place wines, but after drinking the last of it today, it was a much better and smoother wine.

Wade - even my oldest Zinfandel would have been identified even without smelling or tasting a glass. As other of my wines develop, however, I will definitely be sneaking some of my wines into the blind mix.

- Jim

Montelena is not known for Zin so much as they are for Chard and Cab. Their reds seem to take forever to peak. I have a 2000 and 2002 Cab in my Cellar and they are listed as hold until 2014!

It's nice to know that the Zin opened up nicely on day 2. Sinds like they still do good job of keeping out exess O2!

Last time I was in Napa... Chateau Montelena was for sale. It was only 170 million dollars. (in case anyone wants to chip in on it)

Back