Raspberry - Expected Yield

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcquade

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

We just planted a raspberry bush in the back yard. While we're thinking about cooking with a lot of the berries, I was thinking that it might be fun to make a raspberry wine.

Before I go too far I was wondering if anyone had any idea on what type of quantity of wine I could expect to get out of these when they have reached maturity. For example, would 1 raspberry bush yield enough raspberries to make 1/2 gallon of wine?

Thanks!

DJ

You could probably get at least 1/2 gallon of wine from one bush....

Soon the plant will send out suckers and you can move them and make more plants.

Raspberry and Raspberry blend wines are some of our favorites.

If your bush yields well, you should be able to get about 1 gallon of wine from it in a few years if you are using 4 pounds per gallon. A well bearing large berried raspberry should produce up to about 10 pints. Like most other fruit though there is tremendous variability to it's yield. Plant a few extra bushes and you will have a better chance of getting all the berries you need, especially after they start spreading a bit.

I have found out this spring that the elderberry spreads quite a bit too. One of the plants I planted last year has 5 new shoots and the other one has 3

Waldo I have a wild elderberry I cut down last year because it was shading my vines. It grew about 8-10 feet tall last year with about 15-20 shoots. It is leafing out now and is absolutely covered with flower buds! I wish I knew if this was a good one or one of the less desireable red varieties. I would cut it off before it grew again, but I may let it flower and see if it is a good one or not!

Latest posts

Back